Search

Recommendations for Amazon tours

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2013, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations for Amazon tours

Hi,
We are looking for a 4 or max 5 day tour of the Amazon.
What is the best tour company ? Also where is the Amazon best visited from, Brazil or Peru?

Thanks very much !
Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:52 PM

Hi.

I did not tour the Amazon, but I enjoyed my 3 days/2 nights at Posada Amazonas (accessed from Puerto Maldonado, Peru), which included walks, field trips, boat rides. The company is Rainforest Expeditions and they offer multiple ecolodge experiences of varying lengths.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi Esme
Thanks for your reply.
Did you get to see any wildlife on that tour?
Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:05 AM

Hi,

I have found the trip to visit the Brazilian Amazon to take the best part of a week which is why I have never done it. The trip comprises the flight Sao Paulo to Manaus, an overnight, onward travel to an Amazon lodge for a 3-4 night stay and then the same trip in reverse. I'f recommend Uakari Floating Lodge for a great experience.

If you are looking for mammals as well as river life you might want to consider Cristalino Jungle Lodge - a recent trip report is available here, http://safaritalk.net/topic/10549-br...nd-big-waters/ A short extension into the Northern Pantanal may be worthwhile.

I think the best access to the Amazon is from Cusco which also combines well with Machu Picchu. Esme is quite right, its easy to fly Cusco-Puerto Maldonado and be at Refugio Amazonas the same night. Rainforest Expeditions has a number of itineraries at http://www.perunature.com/

This year we are returning to Manu by way of the Cloudforest, spending 2 nights at Cock of the Rock Lodge, 3 nights at Manu Wildlife Center before moving on to Tambopata for a night at Refugio Amazonas and 2 at the Tambopata Research Center. I don't know what mammals we will see in Manu or Tambopata, maybe giant otters, tapir if we're lucky. The birds, particularly cock of the rock, macaws, parrots and hoatzin will be excellent.

Its also possible to access the Amazon from Iquitos where Explorama have a variety of well-priced packages. We enjoyed this in 2010, however its not a pristine area although the insight into river transport and village life is excellent.

Happy planning,

Pol
Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM

You're welcome.

Nothing spectacular, but entertaining: monkeys, dozens of macaws at the clay lick, something that appeared to be a cross between a pig and a rodent and five river otters.
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi Pol & Esme,
Thank you for your replies.
Understand that Puerto Macdonald / Cuzco is an easier access to Amazon over Manuas, but in terms of the sights / scenery & wildlife, is one better over the other?
Thanks again !
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 12:19 AM

Hard to say when I haven't been to the Brazilian Amazon! As far as I know there are no dolphins in Manu or Tambopata, nor are there white uakari monkeys.

I'm happy with the chance to see macaws at 2 major licks, parrots, hoatzin, cock of the rock, giant otter, monkeys, tayra, brocket deer and tapir. If we're uber lucky we may see spectacled bear and jaguar as well. I thought the scenery on the drive over the Andes, especially Paucartambo which is an old Spanish administrative centre with the original town square and the views over and then into the cloudforest were amazing, and something I want to see more of.

Happy planning,

Pol
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 01:31 PM

Sure, you're welcome. I can't compare either, as I've been only to the one.
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 10:31 AM

I was also at Puerto Maldonado at Eco Amazonia and we liked it a great deal. We spent four nights there.