Patagonia-W Trek Tour Company Recommendations

Jul 1st, 2019, 01:22 AM
Original Poster

Patagonia-W Trek Tour Company Recommendations

Planned to go to Patagonia & Easter Island in 2019 and made all the arrangements, then a medical emergency derailed our trip. Thankfully we got most of our payments reimbursed and are re-booking for January 2020. We are looking for recommendations for a tour/guide company for the W Trek.. We want to do the 5/6 day W trek with accommodations and transport from and back to Puerto Natales or Punta Arenas. We want to trek from refugio to refugio and only have to carry what we need for the day. Not one of those tours where you stay in Puerto Natales and drive or take a boat to the trailhead each day. We heard that some companies will transport a small bag from hut to hut, decreasing the daily load. (But we understand that our large suitcase and most of our clothes for the rest of the trip will stay.) The company we originally booked with does not transport anything for you, you need to carry everything you need for the trek. We were just wondering if we could find other recommendations. A friend recommended Cascada Expediciones but they don't appear to do the 5-day trek, just the full circuit or something much shorter. We had previously booked with ChileTour Patagonia.

Thanks for your help!
Jul 1st, 2019, 10:09 AM

Have you looked at G Adventures and called Cascada? I think Cascada can custom-design a trek with porters but you'll be using their ecocamps rather than refugios. Their website lists shorter itineraries but they aren't very transparent to me.
If that doesn't work, try Adventure Life.

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 1st, 2019 at 10:30 AM.
Jul 2nd, 2019, 01:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I agree that Cascadia is hard to figure out. Adventure LIfe looks good. Have you had any experience with them?
Jul 2nd, 2019, 07:22 AM

No, I spoke to them about a different trip and was impressed with the advisor.

Part of the problem with the entire W is that you're dealing with different owners of accommodations, Fantastico Sur and Vertice Patagonia, plus providers of the launches and zodiacs, and then road transfers at the two ends, so I'm thinking companies like Cascada may not provide the full W, just a version that uses their own lodges.

Jul 2nd, 2019, 02:01 PM

Look at the Fantastico Sur website. They will book the transport and lodging with or without guide. Porters have to be booked separately. Erratic Rock also can arrange what you need as well as a porter = or did a couple of years ago. At that time they cost US$150 per day. Most people do not use them. You can leave your large luggage in Puerto Natales or one of the refugios can store it.
Jul 2nd, 2019, 02:15 PM

Will Fantastico Sur book the Paine Grande lodging? When I did it, they had guided legs at least as far as French Valley, but I wasn't sure they strung them together, with a night at Paine Grande, and then picking you up in Glacier Grey at the far end,(vs doing Glacier Grey as an out and back from Las Torres).