Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   NW of Argentina (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/nw-of-argentina-884286/)

flintstones Mar 29th, 2011 10:50 AM

NW of Argentina

The North West is pretty unknown for many visitors in Argentina. But kust to let you know what you are missing I would say Salta became the center of Toruism in the area. Salta and Jujuy are provinces with a lot to offer in the Argentina.
Colourful mountains, rock formations, Historical Sites, Wonderful Architecture, Museums, and Arts for you to enjoy, But also great food, wines and weather. The rainy season is ending and the weather will be great.
Do not miss the NW if you are planning an itinerary in this fantastic country.
one thing, only one I can promise, you will not regret.
Flintstones

krgystn Mar 29th, 2011 11:09 AM

I agree; there are some fantastic restaurants in Salta.

avrooster Mar 29th, 2011 01:16 PM

Dear Flintstones/Angie: Please tell the Fodor's editors you made a mistake when you tagged your OP as a trip report.

I you don't do so, I will, so.....

yestravel Mar 29th, 2011 01:37 PM

Yes, I agree, the NW is incredibly scenic with the best empanadas.

krgystn Mar 29th, 2011 02:29 PM

maybe she considers that a trip report ;)

avrooster Mar 30th, 2011 02:22 AM

Now it's OK, as far as I'm concerned.

flintstones Apr 2nd, 2011 06:27 AM

OOOPS, I am sorry, I made a mistake...It is not a trip report just providing some info about the unknown NW!
SORRY...
Angie/Flintstones

colibri Apr 3rd, 2011 11:52 AM

Can you pls. tell me if the Tren de las Nubes runs only on specific days? Their website errors out when you click on schedules and I read somewhere it only runs one day per week. I'll be there in either late Sept. or early Oct.
Thanks!

JNE Sep 15th, 2014 06:16 AM

Do you do touring with people? You posted a reply on my question a couple of days ago and I could use more information if possible. We are the family of 4 with two daughters 20 and 22. We did use tour guides in Italy last summer and were very pleased!! I'm really a bit concerned about booking my flights round trip to BA if I could save some money with booking into a city we will visit first. Advise on that? Again my dates are in late May so I know the cold weather is starting.

avrooster Sep 15th, 2014 08:12 AM

JNE: Flintstones is the screen name for the best independent guide in our NW, with her own transportation, aka Angie Valdez. She can drive you all over Salta.

But don't take my word for it. You can research her by writing "Angie" on TA's search feature here: http://tinyurl.com/nw9f4 and draw your own conclusions.

I'm not at all sure late May is a good time to go to our NW. Ask Angie here or e-mail her to [email protected]

When you come to Argentina, you HAVE to fly in and out via BA's international airport, known as EZE.

If you need a local travel agent, research "Isabel" with the same search feature mentioned above and also draw your own conclusions.

Have a great time in my country.

flintstones Sep 17th, 2014 05:30 AM

Hi, Colibri; I am sorry, the Train to the Clouds is not running since the service can not be garanteed by the company that runs it.
JNE, late may is a great time. Jan, Feb, is rainy, until mid-March.
The weather is perfect. Warm during the day, but bearable and at night is cools down!
take at least five days for this area. Not less...
Warm regards,
Angie/Flintstones

RN12345 Oct 24th, 2023 06:58 AM

Weather in December

Is mid December okay to go to salta? How much does it actually rain??

crellston Oct 25th, 2023 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by RN12345 (Post 17505348)
Is mid December okay to go to salta? How much does it actually rain??

you can visit pretty much any time of the year though Dec is one of the wettest months. I think the average is about 250 mm of rain over 10-15 days. There will still be sunshine but if self driving you should be aware that it is not unheard of to see floods/ waged out roads.