Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   No exit stamp for Argentina - problem? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/no-exit-stamp-for-argentina-problem-1132625/)

ClementineLdn Sep 26th, 2016 03:33 PM

No exit stamp for Argentina - problem?

Hi all,

I just arrived in Montevideo and am worried about something. I took the Buquebus from Buenos Aires this morning. Immigration control was an absolute shambles. I have no idea what was going on but the line I joined moved incredibly slowly - I entered the Migraciones area at around 7.45am and I was still standing in line at 8.45am, with the boat leaving at 9! The booth I was queuing for suddenly closed and we were directed to stand in line for another window, at which point there was basically a revolt and passengers started yelling and screaming that this was a disgrace and we were all going to miss the boat - the booth which had just closed suddenly reopened and I was pushed towards the window, I handed over my passport and confirmed with an officer behind me that I was on the next boat. I turned around to see my passport being stamped and it was then closed and handed back to me and I was instructed to run to catch the boat.

Well, once on board, I opened my passport and discovered that I had no exit stamp for Argentina. Any other time I would have checked immediately, but all I was worried about was catching the boat and I didn't think the Uruguayan officer would stamp my passport in without the Argentinian officer stamping me out but that's what happened. I asked staff on board the boat and they told me not to worry and that the Uruguay entry stamp acts as an exit stamp, but I absolutely hate feeling like something is wrong with my documents. Is this true? Do I need to worry or not?

crellston Sep 26th, 2016 11:54 PM

I wouldn't worry. This tends to happen at a lot of South American borders. The one between Bolivia and Argentina at La Quiaca this month was an absolute shambles. Brazil to Argentina, I am still not sure whether we have got stamps or not but it wasn't a problem. I am sure they will understand when you return.

ClementineLdn Oct 5th, 2016 10:18 AM

Well, I got back into Argentina! They did question the lack of exit stamp and I just told them that I hadn't been given one, to which the guy looked at his Uruguayan counterpart and shrugged and stamped me back in. I've learned my lesson now about actually requesting stamps. Where I come from, you NEVER question immigration officials. I will politely request any stamp I think I might need in future, to save myself the stress.

crellston Oct 5th, 2016 10:50 AM

Glad it worked out OK you got back into Argentina Clementine. Always a good idea to check your stamps.

It seems to be a bigger problem in Asia where there are many scams, especially in Cambodia and Laos. I remember getting two stamps entering Laos overland and thought that was more than enough. When I tried to fly out, I was told I was missing a third. They asked for $200 "fine" aka bribe, before they would let me on the plane. I managed to bargain it down to $50.