Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   New Years Eve: Rio or Buenos Aires? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/new-years-eve-rio-or-buenos-aires-1031947/)

Dukey1 Dec 11th, 2014 10:03 AM

New Years Eve: Rio or Buenos Aires?

Have never been to either and can spend it in one or the other. Any suggestions with rationale for doing so would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

avrooster Dec 11th, 2014 10:15 AM

As everyone who reads this forum knows, I'm a fan of BA (my town) but, in this case, I'd probably choose Río de Janeiro, even though I've never been there. In BA, all you could get is a fancy and expensive dinner, plus some fireworks. I have a hunch the Brazilians are better at celebrating this kind of thing than we Argentines are.

Have a great time wherever you go, Dukey1.

Dukey1 Dec 11th, 2014 11:53 AM

Avrooster, actually I can do with even a so-called "moderate" dinner but the fireworks, and IN Buenos Aires, well, that sounds pretty memorable to me.

As I look at our plans closer I am beginning to realize that for a lot of reasons we probably will need to be in BA for NY eve. Now all i have to figure out is where to stay. I am torn between the Park Hyatt and the Four Seasons at the moment unless somebody gives me some other alternatives. I know, tough choice but I'm grateful for being able to contemplate it.

avrooster Dec 11th, 2014 12:34 PM

How about http://tinyurl.com/5p6ue6 ?

Dukey1 Dec 11th, 2014 01:39 PM

LOL...I don't know since somebody on TA claims that because there was "no omelet station" the place doesn't get five stars. Some people really do get pissed when they have to order something.

avrooster Dec 11th, 2014 06:13 PM

Good research, Dukey1, but that hotel is now rated #2 in BA (was until recently #1), while the other ones you mentioned are #6 and #11.

Dukey1 Dec 12th, 2014 09:14 AM

I have to read all the review comments before I make a decision which will be based on numerous factors which include my previous experiences at other Four Seasons and Park Hyatt properties.

Some of the things which mean a great deal to some travelers may mean less to me and vice versa and that's to be expected.

Frankly, I think some of the reviews I have read about hotels in a lot of places are debatable in terms of realism such as the one I read about a room that was "small." Then when I saw the pictures of the family involved (every one of them including the two kids was obviously obese) I can understand why they thought the room was "small."

I appreciate your link to the hotel and I am not in any way going to discount it as a possible place to stay.

avrooster Dec 12th, 2014 10:17 AM

I assume you know you can save over 30%, by paying for your hotel stay in cash pesos obtained by selling dollars at the so-called blue rate.

In the 90s, I worked at the hotel I gave you a link to and can help with anything related to it, as I still have good friends there.

Have a great time in my town, Dukey1.

SambaChula Dec 13th, 2014 07:58 AM

Posting on December 11 that you are still trying to decide about choosing Rio for Reveillon may have meant that the choice had already been made for you, by high demand and possible lack or shortage of places to stay for this very popular celebration. So, better that you have chosen BsAs.

avrooster Dec 13th, 2014 08:15 AM

Yes, I thought going to Río for New Year's might be a quite popular choice.

JulianoMelao Dec 17th, 2014 05:02 AM

Hey, i am from Brazil and having been there in both places.

Rio would be a nice visit and nice New year, but crowdly in Copacabana Beach during new year eve, but will be a once in time experience in your life.

Go there and visit Cristo and Pao de acuçar, stay a entire day in Ipanema Beach and walk trought Arpoador and Leblon, have a lunch in Rota 66 or near restaurants!

JulianoMelao Dec 17th, 2014 05:03 AM

If you need something, just let me know, i lived in Rio for some years, visit Rio every holiday in brazil.

See ya!

Dukey1 Dec 18th, 2014 02:49 AM

I appreciate the additional responses. Since I live right on the beach being on one for NYE is not of particular interest. Neither is exchanging currency at some "special rate."