Search

New Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Itinerary

Thanks to everyone who helped me recently iron out the itinerary for our trip in a recent previous post. With all the good advice, I think we've nailed down almost everything, so I want to start this itinerary as a new post. We are a couple in our 40s, in good shape, have been lucky to travel a lot, including Central and South America, but never Peru. We are pretty open to experiencing cities, towns, wildlife, trying new foods and new things. Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Nov 13 O'Hare to Lima
Nov 14 arrive Lima at 6:50am. Fly to Cusco. How long should I allow until the connecting flight to Cusco? 8:45am? 9:40am? A later flight even?
Immediately go from Cusco to Olly, so we can better aclimatize. Spend the day resting, doing some easy exploring of sites and the town.
Nov 15 Tour of Sacred Valley by car, night in Olly.
Nov 16 Train from Olly to MP. Arrive in MP at 7:00am. Return on 6:00pm train, arrive in Olly, spend the night.
Nov 17 Cusco
Nov 18 Cusco
Nov 19 Cusco
Nov 20 Fly to Arequipa
Nov 21 Arequipa
Nov 22 Arequipa or Lima? Is the two nights enough in Arequipa? I wouldn't mind a day for us to explore Lima - Miraflores, San Francisco.
Nov 23 Depending on the previous day, either fly to Lima, and spend the night right at the hotel right at the airport, or transfer to it later in the day, from a Miraflores hotel, so that we are ready for our early departure the next day.
Nov 24 8:00am flight back to the U.S.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Three hours will be enough, 8:45 if a bit iffy if the lines to exit customs are long or your flight is delayed.

I would take a day to explore Lima (the old colonial center and Rafael Larco would be first on my agenda).

I would trade one of the days in Cusco for another day in the Sacred Valley. However you can also do a day tour, example to Pisac ruins and market, from Cusco. The walk down from the top Pisac ruins was one of the highlights of my trip.

There are also some cool tours into the less-touristed regions operated by KB out of Ollantaytambo.

The Abra Malaga tour is getting a lot of praise on TA right now.

http://www.kbperu.com/mbtours/dt9-abra.html
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 09:20 AM

I loved Arequipa but was not enamoured of Lima at all. personally, I would just view it as a transit stop. You could easily spend 1/2 a day in Santa Catalina convent alone. mlgb make a good point re an extra night in the sacred valley - there is a LOT to see. I actually preferred my time walking around the ruins in Pisac to MP so I would definitely factor in a fair proprtion of your time there. Moray, Chichero and Maras Salineras are all worth a look.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Interesting ideas - If I were to add a night, should I stay in Olly the whole time, or would you recommend I opt for a stay elsewhere?
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM

I would just take a night out of Cusco and add it to Olly at the beginning of the trip. It's such a great little town you won't be sorry.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 04:30 AM

think about the 2 day Colca Canyon tour out of Arequipa

absolutely amazing $35 total including lodging
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM

qwovadis - who has this Colca Canyon tour please.