"Must Sees" in Lima, Peru?

Old Oct 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Must Sees" in Lima, Peru?

I am taking my mother on an Amazon River tour in November (over Thanksgiving), but we have arranged a couple of extra days in Lima. Does anyone have tips for things we should see while in Lima? Neither of us are Spanish speakers.

Thanks!
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 10:21 AM

My favorites sights were the UNESCO World Heritage colonial center (a night time double decker tour and you can include the fountains), Huaca Pucllana, Rafael Larco museum. You may feel more comfortable with a guide, there are a few recommended here.

Don't make the mistake of staying only in Miraflores and jsut sitting at the Larcomar mall. There is much more to Lima!

http://www.limaeasy.com/culture/hist...dings_lima.php

Mirabus runs the open top double decker tour bus from the Plaza de Armas or Park Kennedy, these are in Spanish but still worthwhile for the views at night.

http://www.mirabusperu.com/tours.htm

I believe Lima Vision also runs and English language nighttime tour but I don't know if they use the open top bus.

Wikipedia has a good entry on Lima.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Cathedral of San Francisco and Monastery

was the top site for me.

Night double decker bus tour was pretty neat too.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. We are actually staying at the Swissotel, so we will be in Miraflores. The company we are traveling with offers a very reasonable day-tour in Lima taking the Larco Museum. Since you suggested it, we may go ahead and sign up.

Thanks!
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 11:47 AM

If you want to check out some pre-Inca ruins in Miraflores (20 min walk from the Larco Mar mall) - see my blog post of Huaca Pucllana - http://2totravel.blogspot.com/2009/0...-pucllana.html
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM

If the alternative is sitting at the Larcomar Mall, I would take the group tour. The Larco Museum is not that large so hopefully they give you enough time there (be sure to see the X-rated section). You could also ask your hotel to arrange a taxi for you and there is a nice restaurant at the Museum.

Or search on Fodors, there are trip reports with private guided tours of Lima.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Hi Emily -

I stayed in Miraflores and found it to be disappointing. Sort of soulless. There is a neighborhood called Barranco just south of Miraflores. Very charming. Great architecture from c1900 and lots of good places to eat. Try not to miss it.

Central Lima is interesting. Have your taxi driver drop you off at Plaza San Martin, and walk a few blocks up to Plaza Mayor/Armas. Try to see the changing of the guard at the Presidential Palace. Starts at about 1145. See the cathedral. And definitely take the tour of San Francisco, which is a few blocks away.

And don't eat the rat if you don't want to.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Why not see it all? We took a private full day tour with Renato at "Taxi Lima Peru" http://www.taxilimaperu.com/tours/tours.html As we had a full day available before our late flight back home Renato picked us up at our hotel after we had breakfast. We had a wonderful day and evening with him. Take a look at his city tours for an overview, you adjust plans as time and interest allow. We had a great time and this made Lima a place we remember very fondly. I honestly did not think much of Lima our first day but this tour totally changed our impression. Hope you have a great trip- John & Robin