Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Machupicchu Montanta - feedback from anyone who's hiked it (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/machupicchu-montanta-feedback-from-anyone-whos-hiked-it-940282/)

ttravel123 Jun 24th, 2012 05:20 AM

Machupicchu Montanta - feedback from anyone who's hiked it

Hi Travelistas!

We are heading to MP in a few days and the tickets to Huayna Picchu are all sold out. The only options are the hike to Machupicchu Montana.

I am looking for some feedback from anyone who's hiked it, and if it was strenuous and if it was just or almost as nice as the hike to HP?

Thanks!!

Terri

panecott Jun 24th, 2012 09:40 AM

Are you talking about the Gate of the Sun hike? I'm pretty sure that the hike up MacchuPicchu If so, it's beautiful and not strenuous at all. There were sufficient places to stop and rest, if necessary. I didn't consider doing Huayna Picchu b/c I was too chicken. :-)

I took the bus up early one morning to see the sunrise and then did the hike. It was cool and comfortable and there was hardly anyone on the trail. I met some Inca Trail trekkers coming in the opposite direction who were at the end of their journey.

At one point I was above the clouds. It was glorious.

geetika Jun 24th, 2012 11:23 AM

One doesn't need tickets to go up to the Intipunku or Sun Gate, we did it last April, just after sunrise, there were hardly any people around and it was beautiful with mist drifting around. And I thought tickets to go up Huayna Picchu were given the day day of the hike, the first 200 or something like that, not in advance. Is the OP talking about the Inca Trail permits?

mlgb Jun 25th, 2012 12:16 AM

Geetika, the procedure for hiking to HP changed last summer. There is a combined paid ticket for HP and the main site. You need it in hand before you take the bus up. Since there is now a way to buy tickets in advance online, they usually sell out. Even the regular entry to MP is limited and can sell out in peak demand periods.

The Sun gate hike does not need a separate ticket and is a good alternative.

You can search for ncounty's trip report, I recall that she did Machu Picchu Mtn. Most reports are that it is harder than HP.

shutterbug85 Jun 25th, 2012 09:17 AM

My husband and I just did Machu Picchu mountain in May. We hiked it the day after completing the 4-day Inca Trail hike. It was hard, but not harder than Day 2 of the Inca Trail. It's mostly "stairs". It ended up raining the day we hiked it, and the rocks were very slippery and the view nonexistent, but it was a good climb. The view was good partway up, and I'm sure it's amazing in good weather. From what I heard from our friends who did HP, MP Mountain was easier.

You do have to buy the tickets in advance, and they will check them at the very bottom and also a little ways up the path at the official guardhouse.