Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Machu Picchu, Peru-- accessible by 1st week in May , 2010 ????????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/machu-picchu-peru-accessible-by-1st-week-in-may-2010-a-824575/)

jaydh42 Feb 1st, 2010 04:15 PM

Machu Picchu, Peru-- accessible by 1st week in May , 2010 ?????????

We were strongly considering a combined Galapagos and Machu Picchu group tour beginning May 1, 2010. Because of the recent torrential rains, mud flows and the washing out of some of the rail lines leading to this archeological wonder, however, we are afraid to commit. The question is whether the rail lines will be fully functional, up and running by first week in May? Anyone have opinions or know anything about this? I know the country depends on tourists for much of its GDP. Who would take the change and book it? We , would , of course, take out trip insurance if we were to follow through. Perhaps we should wait till next year to do this trip. Thoughts! Comments!!

Thanks for your input.

JH

Jeff_Costa_Rica Feb 1st, 2010 04:21 PM

Read through the other threads here on this topic. There are links in some of the posts to sites that have more info. The only answer anybody could give you is "Probably." I don't think there are any guarantees in this situation.

qwovadis Feb 2nd, 2010 05:34 AM

www.perurail.com

posts that they are going to fix all the breaks in 8 weeks

but odds are even if this is delayed

the bus/train Santa Maria/Teresa/HidroElectrica route

will open in 2-3 weeks Inka Trail providers

are booking 3/1/10 they have to get folks out this way

So you should be fine but monitor sites like

www.livinginperu.com for updates.

cpan Feb 3rd, 2010 07:17 AM

We went last year in May. Our guide said that 10% of the population in Cusco is in tourism. They have a 5 year degree program in tourism at the University. I agree that since their economy depends mostly on tourism, they should have the rail repaired by May.

It's always a good idea to buy trip insurance for a big adventure like this. We booked our trip through REI Adventures. $3200 plus airfare to Peru $450 plus airfare to Cusco $480 times two = $8260! Trip insurance was only another $200 total, so we just bought it just in case.

Have a great time! I love Peru!

carolyn pan
www.thepanthatcan.com

ENGLEFIELD Mar 15th, 2010 02:47 PM

Hi am new to this site and so pleased to have found it, when is the best time of year to visit
Machu Picchu?

Jeff_Costa_Rica Mar 16th, 2010 10:46 AM

I've been to MP several times and during every season of the year. In a normal year, May is my favorite month to visit. The rainy season has ended and the high-season crowds have not yet arrived.

But after the horrendous rains and landslides in January, it's hard to say if everything will be up and running by this May. It's anything but a normal year there in 2010.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Mar 16th, 2010 10:53 AM

Other months:

June-August: good weather, LOTS of tourists, especially weeks around June 24 (Cusco's Inti Raymi festival) and July 28 (Peru's Independence Day)

September: still good weather, slightly fewer tourists, kind of a trailing off of the high season

October-March: rainy season, but heaviest rains don't kick in until January and February

April-May: good weather, fewer tourists (except around Easter), ideal months for me.

Once again, this is in a normal year.

ENGLEFIELD Mar 16th, 2010 11:06 AM

Thanks to you all, appreciate the information helps with basic planning of when. Now the rest of it, planning is just so enjoyable