Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Can I live 3-6 months in Latin America and write from there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am a freelance and contract writer. I would like to live anywhere from three to six months each year somewhere in Central or South America. I would actually be writing while there, but my money gets deposited in my accounts in US/Canada. Would that be legal?

And any advice on where to visit with the idea of living part-time there would also be appreciated. Here's what I'm looking for:
Safety
Cost
Vibrant arts community
Culture
Live music, dancing
Cafes

A beach would also be great.

Thank you all!
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 07:38 PM

I doubt anyone here can give you the definitive answer to your "Would that be legal?" question. It's a gray area for one thing. Too many countries for another.

You're always limited in the amount of time you can spend in one country. Costa Rica is 90 days, after which you have to leave and can come back for another 90 days. Guatemala/Honduras/El Salvador/Nicaragua jointly allow 90 days. Ecuador gives you 90 days in a calendar year, period. Those are examples. You'd have to look into them.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 10:44 PM

I think if you are getting paid by client in in your home country rather than the country you are visiting then there would not be a problem ( indeed, how would anyone know anyway?). If you were living in Ecuador for example, you would find it impossible to invoice anyone without the appropriate tax number etc. I imagine that would be the case in most other countries as well. Whether it is strictly legal would depend upon the laws of the country you were in and clearly there are a lot of countries in SA and you would have to decide which country first and then research the practicalities.

Cost wise, I would say that Ecuador and Bolivia are the least expensive countries. Chile, Argentina and Brazil the most expensive. I can't comment on Central America as I haven't been.

As far as safety is concerned, there is a lot to read about how unsafe South America can be. My experience after spending a total of 1 year in a variety of countries is that it has been perfectly safe with only one minor incident. Just take the usual precautions you would anywhere.

In terms of which countries are my personal favourites, I would have to say Bolivia or Peru. Or maybe Ecuador or Argentina.. The fact is, I love the South American continent and would return in a heartbeat.

If you have never been before, then I would suggest you take a good look at Peru where you can get a 90 day Visa, leave the country for a day and then return for another 90 days. Peru also has all the thing you have listed above in abundance.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 08:22 AM

Do you speak spanish quite well? This would make a huge difference in trying to appreciate/integrate into arts and cultural activities. (not to mention greatly enhance your day to day living experience, making friends, etc. unless you just plan to be around other ex-pats)
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 01:00 PM

If you don't mind a large city, Lima Peru has the vibrant culture and in fact English is fairly widely spoken (or at least understood) by young people particularly if they work in tourism.

Some of the smaller Andean cities are also pleasant, although try to time it to avoid rainy season (roughly October thru March).

I would avoid Trujillo and Chiclayo, although they are coastal and have beach areas, they do not have a good reputation for safety. I believe this is also true of much of the Ecuadorean coast.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I'm learning Spanish and would definitely plan to live my life in Spanish as opposed to English. Peru and Ecuador seem to be the countries most often recommended. I would want to be there during our winter though, which would bring me into the rainy season in Peru according to migb.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:00 PM

The rainy season doesn't apply along the coast, HelgaP, so Lima would still be okay as far as rain, although I think it feels muggy that time of year. Lima has a very strange climate, a humid desert~ virtually no rain, but due to the cold Humboldt current, it is overcast and foggy from May into approx November. I don't mind the fog but many do. It doesn't get too hot temperature wise (maybe 80 F) but it feels warmer.