Notices

Live for a year

Apr 13th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Live for a year

I have played with the idea of "falling off the grid" for a year... taking my family (me, my wife, and four kids), and moving to south America, for a year...living a quite, still, unplugged life... I'm having the hardest time figuring a cost of living number for something like this. Anyone have any idea how to start figuring something like this?
Apr 13th, 2013, 11:22 PM

This blog has a lot of useful information on how to budget and links to other resources http://www.neverendingvoyage.com/how...g-term-travel/ elsewhere on the blog there are details of actual costs for stays in Peru Bolivia etc.. With with 4 kids I imagine you wil be looking to rent apartments for at least some of the time? Otherwise, you could portably take the entire dorm at many hostels for reasonable cost www.hostelbookers.com. Of the countries you mention, Ecuador will be the least expensive and Chile the most expensive.
Apr 14th, 2013, 04:25 AM

I am Argentine and moved to the US 9 years ago, and now I split my time between the US/UK. My family still lives in Argentina. I would not move back home, and I worry everyday about my family members who are still there, given the levels of violent crime throughout the country. The country is beautiful... but I would definitely not recommend you live there. You can go to Uruguay instead, and visit Argentina as a tourist: living in my country has unfortunately become tantamount to living with crime (anywhere and at any time), demonstrations and road blocks, power outages, and exchange controls).
Apr 14th, 2013, 06:50 AM

You have three of the most expensive countries in SA there: Brazil, Argentina, Chile. If you are US citizens you have also chosen the three which will cost you US$160 per family member (X6 in your case) for either visas (Brazil) or reciprocity fees (Argentina, Chile). Ecuador is probably your best bet of the four. Check expat websites for Ecuador and see what people say.

Falling off the grid isn't as easy as it used to be either. Bad times in the northern hemisphere have meant many people have come to the southern hemisphere trying to get away from it all and meet a lot of folk from up north doing the same thing. Not all can manage the cultural and language differences. If you plan it as just an extended vacation with plans to return home at the end, you will enjoy it more.

Search this Thread