Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Lima to Cuzco (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/lima-to-cuzco-993514/)

Kevin1 Sep 30th, 2013 03:59 PM

Lima to Cuzco

I am going to arrange trip from Lima to Cuzco but would not prefer to go by flight. I want to take bus but there is one problem , It is 21 hours journey and i don't want to be on bus for 21 hours.
If anyone help me that it is possible to break this journey into twice means stay somewhere overnight and then continue my journey.

Any suggestion would be high appreciated. ?

crellston Sep 30th, 2013 04:17 PM

We did this trip a few months ago and it is a bit of a PITA, both literally and figuratively! Having done loads of long bus trips I guess I have just learned to live with it.

We are currently in Arequipa, a lovely city which I would highly recommend. You could get a bus to here about 15 hours, spend a day or two exploring the city and then get am other bus to Cusco, about 10 hours as I recall. The scenery on the section for Arequipa to Cusco is wonderful.

Another alternative is maybe via Ica/ Nazca/ Paracas but I haven't been that way yet.

A lot depends on how much time you are spending in the country.

Whichever route you choose do go for Cama/VIP\ suite seats not much extra and well worth it,

Esme_Travels Oct 3rd, 2013 04:44 PM

If it makes a difference I found the airlines very professional, the flights inexpensive and the process intuitive.

Grindeldoo Oct 12th, 2013 03:32 PM

The advantage of going via Arequipa with a stopover there is that you will get acclimatised to altitude more gradually - it's quite a strain to the system, flying straight into Cuzco.

harry61 Oct 28th, 2013 05:37 PM

Take the bus from Lima to Paracas and thereafter to Arequipa. From Arequipa take the tour/bus through the colca cnyon to Puno (Lake Titicaca) and from there to Cusco.
Another Option ist to take the bus from Lima Tom Ayacuco and spend 2 or 3 day's there, before you satrt finally to Cusco.

mlgb Oct 29th, 2013 10:51 AM

There is a bus from Nazca Cusco also.

Harry61 is spamming and apparently is not knowledgeable about the trip from Ayacucho to Cusco by bus.

Not an easy trip and may take you longer to complete that the 21 hours from Lima. Also not a good idea in wet season.

Harry1961 Oct 30th, 2013 04:34 PM

It is true. And the bus from Nazca to Cusco goes via Ayacucho.

Regarding "also no good idea in wet season". All bus trips crossing the Andes then not should be done right now.

Apparently mlgb is not knowledgeable about this as well as other trips.

I myself traveled same route 2 weeks ago and without any Problem.

And by the way Harry61 is not spamming and living in Peru.

mlgb Oct 30th, 2013 11:01 PM

The most direct buses go via Abancay, not Ayacucho.

Honestly if you're going to try to use Fodors to advertise your travel agency, you might want to get some better information sources.

Of course you can take any kind of roundabout route over unpaved roads you want. Maybe not the best advice to potential clients looking to save time, though.