Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Lima/Cusco flight advice needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/lima-cusco-flight-advice-needed-857769/)

blackmons Sep 3rd, 2010 03:21 PM

Lima/Cusco flight advice needed

I have booked a flight for our family to Peru in May using United frequent flier miles. Going to be a looooong day. We arrive in Lima at 12:15 a.m. I'm looking into booking a round-trip flight using TACA airlines. They leave Lima at 5:40 a.m. Per advice on these boards, we'll just sleep (!) in the airport. We will then stay the first night in the Sacred Valley before returning to Cusco for 2 nights to acclimate. My husband and sons will be tekking to MP. I sure hope they'll be acclimated by then. They will start their trek on a Friday and we will return to Cusco on Mon.

My question is, our return flight from Lima is on a Wed night, 11:45 p.m. I've been advised on these boards to get to Lima on Tues in case there are cancellations due to weather. There's a 7:56 a.m. and a 12:10 p.m. flight from Cusco on that Tues. Is it risky to book the 12:10 flight? I know my family's going to want desperately to sleep in and will not be happy with me if I try and get them on such an early flight. On the other hand, I don't want to risk the afternoon flight getting cancelled. How often does that happen? Since we don't fly out of Lima until the next day, do you think I should just chance it?

Also, I was quoted $144 round trip per person. Would I get a better price if I used a travel agent?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Laurie

qwovadis Sep 4th, 2010 05:46 AM

Hi Laurie

Check you United FF membership might get you in

www.lap.com.pe aiport lounges there are 3 they are great

Tues 12:10 will work fine there are later flights if you miss

www.starperu.com

www.peruvianairlines.pe

might have cheaper not much www.taca.com is great

$72 each way if that is all in that is a good price

www.pmexplorers.com good Cusco based agent also

www.culturalimmersion.org if you need help/quotes

Have fun,

polsen1212 Sep 4th, 2010 07:14 AM

We just got back from there several weeks ago. I would advise taking the earlier flight from Cusco. The airport in Lima is a little chaotic, so you need to allow enough time there.
The price sounds good for your flight. I don't think that you can get it any better.
If you have not yet made all of your land reservations, I would suggest staying in Cusco for a couple of days first, then stop by the Sacred Valley on your way to the start of the Inca trail. Then after leaving Machu Picchu head back to Cusco. It seems as though you are doing a lot of backtracking.
We did the Inca trek and a couple of hints: get Diamox for acclimation and take them! Also, trekking poles are a must. It was the most amazing trip ever! All eight in our group (all related) ranged from 27 to 60 years old. Take your time and enjoy the views! Good luck

blackmons Sep 4th, 2010 08:48 AM

We were going to stay in SV the first night to acclimate before going to Cusco to acclimate for MP. Lots of acclimating on this trip!
Thanks,
Laurie

blackmons Sep 4th, 2010 09:39 AM

Just as I feared. Now that I'm ready to book the flight, I'm told it's over $300, that the original price was if I was booking it in Peru. Any advice?
Thanks,
Laurie

mlgb Sep 4th, 2010 10:20 AM

Try Star Peru or Peruvian Airlines.

petite43 Sep 4th, 2010 03:24 PM

I thought that might be the case. I just booked flights for travel next month & the lowest price I could find if buying from the US was between $275-550. I had an agent in Peru purchase the tickets for me & they were $132 pp r/t. (Peruvian Airlines)
You might want to check into that as an option. Good luck!

mlgb Sep 4th, 2010 07:23 PM

You can't buy tickets on Star Peru from overseas?

qwovadis Sep 5th, 2010 05:27 AM

agents like

www.peruforless.com

www.traficoperu.com

can buy locally for you soes not cost more

usually if you have a "Verified by Visa"

you can book their web sites otherwise not.

Happy Hunting,

qwovadis Sep 5th, 2010 05:30 AM

www.taca.com drops their prices every Tuesday

off season to respond to best sales from other carriers

so Tuesday in January best time to book with them

usually...

Be patient fares will get lower in winter

have booked from $49 each way then on sale

blackmons Sep 5th, 2010 11:12 AM

Thanks so much for all your great suggestions. I was thinking of contacting either David or Percy, who I have read so much about on this board. Is that something either one of them would be able to help me with?
Thanks,
Laurie

qwovadis Sep 6th, 2010 05:39 AM

Yes Percy or David could find someone to help you with this

but they are guides not agents...

www.peruforless.com

www.pmexplorers.com

www.traficoperu.com

are agents I have used for this with good results

blackmons Sep 6th, 2010 06:45 AM

Thanks so much. I'll give that a try.
Laurie