Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page > Lima Airport transit time from US to Easter Island?
Notices

Lima Airport transit time from US to Easter Island?

Jul 15th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Lima Airport transit time from US to Easter Island?

I booked tickets to Easter Island traveling from Tampa to Miami to Lima to Easter Island. There is a two-hour window in Lima to transfer to my connecting flight. Is this enough time? I am considering traveling with only a carry-on bag since I am only going to Easter Island for a few days. I am hoping this will reduce the time needed in Lima since I won't need to collect a bag to pass through. Should I be concerned about making my flight to Easter Island in time? The next flight to get me there appears to go through Buenos Aires and Santiago first, delaying my arrival in Easter Island considerably.
Jul 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM

A carryon will help but if you have to pass thru immigration and customs it can still take an hour.

Will you be on two different airlines or is it all LAN? If all LAN try to ask if you will just be in transit and not going through Peru customs and immigration.
Aug 23rd, 2012, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply...I was able to answer my own question after I posted this. I found out that if you are going from one international flight to another, you only have to pass through security in Lima (not customs or immigration)and if you are careful upon exiting the plane, and follow the transit signs, you will stay within the departure gate area (which is very nice with food and beverage options, and shopping and restrooms). And I ended up checking a bag too, which I did not have to retrieve there. However, my flight did not go through Lima as planned, but instead through Santiago. The unfortunate part of this was the delay as well as having to pay the $160 reciprocity fee for going through Santiago (Chile) instead of Lima (Peru). Even though I was only in transit and not leaving the airport, I still had to pay. The reason I know about Lima, is that I was able to return home via Lima, as originally planned.
Jan 22nd, 2013, 08:19 AM

The Lima airport website states that you can have in-transit/connecting passenger status for all international connections. It doesn't mention whether it has to be the same airline or not. Do you know if this is true?

I'll be connecting in Lima to Easter Island and back again, with just under 2 hours each time. I'm concerned about making the flights, and want to believe I will be able to avoid the long wait in customs, since I won't be touching Peruvian soil.

Search this Thread