LAN connection of 55m in SCL

May 12th, 2013, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

LAN connection of 55m in SCL

Hi there, i've read another topic on here about LAN offering really tight connections though my instance is one I'm just not sure about.

The flight is international arriving to SCL from Argentina I then have a 55m connection for another LAN flight to Madrid.

My question is given the flights are on time and my luggage is sent all the way through is it possible to make this connection?

I called LAN and they said no. So why do they offer this? One person told me minimum 1hr and another 1hr 30min. So im confused.

thanks in advance
May 12th, 2013, 04:15 AM

I sympathise wax, just this week I flew Lan from London via Madrid and Guayacil to Quito nd did not have a great experience on the flight (see my TR for details). Our connection in Madrid was 90 mins but we were travelling hand baggage only so that was not an issue but in the end we made the connection with maybe 20 mins to spare. We could check in all of our sectors LHR - MAD and GYE -QUITO except the intercontinental MAD Yo GYE online, so we had to check in at the gate. Finding the gate in the transit area was a big problem as " information" didn't have a clue. If we had had to collect baggage, we would not have made it.

I am not entirely sure, but I think if you are checking bags through then IATA regs do not allow the flight to leave without the accompanying passenger so they would either have to offload your bags or wait for you. From what they have said so far, it would seem that as your connection time is less than the stipulated min. ( whatever that is!), you run the risk of them not checking your bags through, in which case, it would be impossible to collect your bags and check in in the time available

If it were me, I think I would be inclined to insist that they change your flights so you can meet their min connection times. If you bouaht directly from Lan then they should do this at no cost as they should not have sold you the ticket inthe first place. if you bought via a travel agent then i would go back to them and insist that they sort it out. Good luck!
May 12th, 2013, 04:25 AM

It is an international connection, so you get off one plane - hopefully with your boarding pass in hand and your luggage checked all the way through - and go to your departure gate. But you still have to get off the plane and so does your luggage. You might make this connection but I wonder if your luggage would.

When you say LAN offered it, do you mean you bought both online? Given that missing the second flight might be a major hassle, I would give it the full hour and a half. Personally I always leave 2 hours between connections. There really isn't any difference between 55 minutes and an hour.

Search this Thread