Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Itinerary help for one week in Argentina (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/itinerary-help-for-one-week-in-argentina-1663431/)

anjun Feb 7th, 2019 04:18 PM

Itinerary help for one week in Argentina

Hello, I would like to thank you for any responses to this post in advance. I am planing a trip to Argentina in March. I already have some of the week booked. Our main purpose was to see Iguazu Falls, so there first 2 1/2 days are booked for that. But then I have 4 days. I thought to see Salta, fly from Iguazu to Salta (via BUE) but at most we will have 1 1/2 days there before I thought to fly back to BA to spend about a day and half there. Now I am thinking it is too much running around and don't really get to see one place. If anyone can advise, is it better to just fly back to BA from Iguazu and find things to see there? Also I wanted to know if anyone had recommendations for a transfer company we can use for seeing the Brazil side of the falls. I have booked one night at Cataratas Hotel in the park. So we would need to cross over to Brazil and back from the falls. We are a party of 8 people and one is an elderly family member. Also any recommendations for a guide in BA. Thank you all very much for any help.

crellston Feb 7th, 2019 11:15 PM

It is just not worth the effort of getting to Salta for 1.5 days especially if you have to fly via BA. The real beauty of going there is to be found out the countryside of Salta and Jujuy provinces. It takes a min of 3 nights to even scratch the surface. The city is pleasant enough but there is way more to see in BA so I would spend your time there.

As for transport arrangements, we have visited both sides of the falls using public transport and by organising a taxi on arrival. This can be done at the airport, by approaching a taxi driver direct, through one of the agencies in Puerto Iguazu or via your accomdation.

With 8 of you, unless you are happy with two separate taxis, I would book in advance with one of the agencies in PI or ask you Hotel for suggestions (although the Cataratas will likely charge a hefty premium.

I posted about our time there on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2016/09...er-everywhere/ and included a few tips at the end.

The elderly member of you group may find it a long day, especially on the Argentina side. If they are in need of any special assistance, such as a wheelchair, I would make enquires well in advance.

Sorry but I can’t help with a guide for BA. Although it is a huge city, it is not difficult to get around so you could easily do it yourself without a guide but with 8 of you, a guide and minibus may be the best way of keeping everyone together. Hopefully Avrooster, a BA resident will see this and come up with some suggestions. Alternatively, use the search function above to find info in previous posts.

anjun Feb 8th, 2019 03:57 AM

Thank you very much for your help. That’s kind of what I was thinking about Salta. Any suggestions for side trips from BA? Also will contact the hotel in PI and ask about transport.

crellston Feb 8th, 2019 05:30 AM

Take a look at the Tigre Delta, a day trip by train is nice. Maybe a ferry across the river to Colonia Del Sacremento. Some detail and photos of our time there on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/categor...erica/uruguay/ . Some do it as a day trip but an overnight would be nice. Try to avoid weekends when it gets very busy.

sf7307 Feb 8th, 2019 07:14 AM

Are you staying at the Belmond Las Cataratas in the Brazilian national park? We are here right now so if yes, I can give you some info.

anjun Feb 8th, 2019 07:17 AM

Wow, yes we are staying one night at the Belmond. So we need to cross the border and return.

anjun Feb 8th, 2019 07:20 AM

sf7307- did you cross the border to be there? How did you get the photos required for the Visa as someone said you need.

sf7307 Feb 8th, 2019 08:15 AM

I typed a response with everything you need to know and it disappeared before I hit send! I’ll redo it when we get to the airport.

anjun Feb 8th, 2019 11:58 AM

Thank you sf7307, I would appreciate that.

anjun Feb 8th, 2019 12:12 PM

We are more into nature than museums, was wondering would it be better to extend Salta and skip doing Buenos Aires?

sf7307 Feb 8th, 2019 01:59 PM

One thing at a time.

The visa - we struggled with the website too. We even called the consulate and they told us to keep fighting with it. We took the pictures with a cell phone and found an app (called Image Size) to resize them to the exact number of pixels required - which I think is 413 (width) x 531 (height). The website people were very responsive - telling us what we were doing wrong each time.

Second, we visited both the Argentina side(walked 8 miles over 5-1/2 hours) and Brazil side (less than 2 hours but absolutely spectacular views). We arrived at the Belmond at night, did the Argentina side the next day, spent a second night and did the Brazil side in the morning and spent the afternoon at the pool. Our remise drivermet us at the gate and dropped us at the entrance to the Argentine side. He returned by prior arrangement at 4 pm the cost was 3000 AP round trip For Brazil you just walk out the front door of the hotel and cross the street. You’re already in the park.

We got to the Belmond via remise from IGR. It cost 1400 Argentine Pesos. But we were only two people. The remise driver handled immigration - for Argentina, you stay in the car, for Brazil you go inside(the driver goes with you). The same driver picked us up today via prior arrangement. The remise
only go as as far as the park gate (about 15 minutes from the hotel) and you take a hotel shuttle from there.
you pay for entrance to the 🇧🇷 Brazil park at checkin. Forthe Argentina side there’s a ticket booth (700 pesos per adult)

you do do have to go through both border crossings in both directions but it’s fast and easy.

The hotel is gorgeous. Too bad you don’t have much time to enjoy it. If you can add a night, I’d recommend it.

Let me me know what I might have left out. Also you can avoid a lot of the initial hassle if you’re from from within Brazil, in which case you should fly to Fox do Iguazú Brazil rather than Puerto Iguazú Srgentina.

anjun Feb 9th, 2019 07:43 AM

That is great information,sf7307. Thank you. We have already booked our flights in and out of BA, as that was the least cost option for us. So the remis doesn't drive you to the hotel, you have to exit the remis at the park entrance and from there take the shuttle to the Belmond hotel. And when you leave, is it the same? They don't pick you up at the hotel, you have to take the shuttle to the park entrance and they pick you up from there? The hotel says they can provide transportation for R$690 for 8 people. I guess it would be cheaper with the remis, but easier with the hotel with 8 people.

sf7307 Feb 9th, 2019 01:19 PM

With 8 people I might arrange transportation through the hotel, but there is a big cost difference.

anjun May 17th, 2019 03:19 AM

Brazil Visas

I can’t remember the poster’s name, but I would really like to thank the person who had given instructions on how to get the Brazil Visa. The app for photo sizing was very helpful and we had no problems at all crossing the border. I am very thankful to all the Fodorites that put so much effort into helping others.

sf7307 May 17th, 2019 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by anjun (Post 16920751)
I can’t remember the poster’s name, but I would really like to thank the person who had given instructions on how to get the Brazil Visa. The app for photo sizing was very helpful and we had no problems at all crossing the border. I am very thankful to all the Fodorites that put so much effort into helping others.

i think that was me. Glad it helped!