Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Itinerary for a week in Bogota? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/itinerary-for-a-week-in-bogota-974240/)

catwhit1013 Apr 14th, 2013 06:59 AM

Itinerary for a week in Bogota?

Heading to Bogota, Colombia, for a week to 10 days, in November 2013. Any suggestions for an itinerary? We aren't committed to just staying on Bogota.

SusanInToronto Apr 14th, 2013 01:26 PM

I posted a trip report after our trip to Colombia. You can click on my name and you should see it. What are you interested in? There was so much to do in Colombia! We flew into Cartagena and out of Bogota. We really enjoyed our time in the city - wonderful art museums, really good restaurants lots to see and do. We also went to Villa de Leyva, a small colonial town outside of Bogota - I'd highly recommend it. It's beautiful, the air is fresh and we really loved that area. The coast is completely different. We spent a week in Cartagena and a few days also in Santa Marta. Both worthwhile for a few days.

catwhit1013 Apr 15th, 2013 04:54 AM

SusanInToronto: thanks for the link to your extensive post!

rykrot Oct 8th, 2013 02:05 PM

I just posted these suggestions to another couple....basically, Bogota makes a great base for exploring nearby ecosystems and towns. There is a lot to see in this region.

I highly disagree with everyone suggesting you skip Bogota and/or only spend one day in this city. I have lived here for 2 years and have discovered a wealth of interesting places both in and around the city.

Staying in la Candelaria is like staying in a small town. Everything is within walking distance and there is a lot to discover. It provides a good base too for exploring places around the city. Siechita Guesthouse is a good option for a quiet, comfortable and affordable place to stay.

There is a cloud forest 45 minutes away from the city - one of the most spectacular places I have ever visited. There are numerous wetlands within the city limits, including the botanical gardens and one of the largest city parks in the world. Choachi lies less than an hour away from Bogota and offers amazing hikes and views, including the tallest waterfall in the country (at 500m). La Minga is a good option if you want to stay out there. Near to Bogota you can also visit the paramo ecosystem which will definitely offer you a unique and unforgettable experience. Google Sumapaz National Park or Chingaza. You can also visit the coffee region (only 2 hours away from Bogota). It is actually older than the eje cafetero and offers you the same experience for less money. It's a birding paradise with warm weather and you can stay with the coffee farmers for not too much. You can also head out to Raquira/Villa de Leyva for 2 or 3 days to experience the micro-desert climate. Warm weather and a colonial town with the best handicrafts in the country and a myriad of activities surrounding the town. You can rent a bike and explore the wine farms, archeological sites, the mud house and the blue wells. You can also take a day trip to Iguaque National Park for some hiking.

catwhit1013 Nov 19th, 2013 12:10 PM

Thank you, rykrot. This is a wealth of information!