Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Itinerary Advice..+/- days advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/itinerary-advice-days-advice-1045413/)

lizz66 May 16th, 2015 01:44 PM

Itinerary Advice..+/- days advice

I am arriving in Buenos Aires on August 21 and leaving Rio in the evening (9pm) on Sept 7th. I am trying to book internal flights and not sure how long to spend in each area, specifically BA, Salta/NW region. I probably won't return to NW Argentina so I definitely want to make sure I see this area as I can always go back to Rio......Any recommendations or edits to this itinerary?

Thur August 20 – Fly to Buenos Aires
Fri 21 – Arrive in Buenos Aires (Morning 9:30am)
Sat 22 – Buenos Aires
Sun 23 –Buenos Aires
Monday 24 – MV
Tuesday 25 – MV
Wednesday 26 – Buenos Aires
Thur 27 – Buenos Aires
Fri 28 – BA – Salta
Sat 19 – Salta
30 – Salta
31 –Salta
Sept 1 - Salta
2 – Salta
3 – Salta to Iguazu (6:55pm-8:55)
4 – Iguazu
5- Iguazu – Rio (6:20pm-8:19)
6 – Rio
7 – Rio – Fly Home
8 - Arrive Home

SUMMARY
5.5 days BA
2 days Montevideo
6 days Salta
1.5 days Iguazu Falls
1.5 days Rio

OR

Thur August 20 - Fly to Buenos Aires
Fri 21 - Arrive in Buenos Aires (9am)
Sat 22 - Buenos Aires
Sun 23 -Buenos Aires
Monday 24 - MV
Tuesday 25 - MV
Wednesday 26 - Buenos Aires
Thur 27 - Buenos Aires - salta (Can fly anytime during the day)
Fri 28 - Salta
Sat 19 - Salta
30 - Salta
31 -Salta
Sept 1 - Salta - Iguazu (6:55pm-8:55)
2 - Iguazu
3 - Iguazu - Rio (6:20pm-8:19)
4 - Rio
5- Rio
6 - Rio
7 - Rio - Fly Home
8 - Arrive Home

Summary
4.5 days BA
2 days Montevideo
4.5 days Salta
1.5 days Iguazu Falls
3.5 days Rio

thursdaysd May 17th, 2015 05:26 AM

I would put Montevideo at the beginning or end of your BA time - it does have an airport! Depending on how the flights work you could fly from there to Iguazu and then on to Salta.

I would give Iguazu another day - one day for the Brazilian side, one for the Argentinian. It is a truly fabulous sight. I would be inclined to take the day from either BA or Rio - I was not so impressed with the cities in SA as I was with the scenery.

Haven't been to Salta, so can't help with that.

MarnieWDC May 18th, 2015 05:33 AM

I like your itineraries,

I agree with thursdayd that if you can arrange to fly to Iguazu from Monte., that would be smoother Also,adding a Rio day to Iguazu would be worth while, though if your connections are on time, you would have time to explore the Argentine and Brazilian sides of the Falls without being too limited.

As for Salta, you have a good number of days to explore this incredible region replete with interesting culture, gorgeous scenery, good food and wine and lovely drives. And don't miss going to a Pena - a folkloric, non-touristic café with locals providing music....just great. Some are for tourists, I assume, but many are not..I would ask at a restaurant or my hotel for recommendations for the Penas they themselves would go to.

crellston May 18th, 2015 07:43 AM

To do it justice, Salta and the NW really needs six days ( I assume you are renting a car to do this?). This really is one of my favourite places in South America, so much so that we returned in 2013 here is a link to our blog of our time there on our first trip .
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/1/tpod.html

Entries 75 onward cover the NW. Don't short change Salta province!!,

We did a similar route in reverse a few years ago but by overnight bus rather than flying, getting the overnight bus down from Iguazu to Montevideo via Salto ( one very long trip!)

Montevideo was nice and enjoyed our time there but in the context of the time you have available, not sure I would include it. An alternative may be a day trip from BA to Colonia del Sacramento and or the Tigre Delta.

Iguazu needs 3 nights and two full days to see both side of the falls.

Never been to Rio so can't really comment on how much time it warrants. Really enjoyed BA and spent a month there

SambaChula May 18th, 2015 08:08 AM

Iguazu needs 2 nights and one full day/two half days (other half of each is travel)to see both side of the falls.

Rio "warrants" at least 4-5 days and some of the rest of Brazil, maybe 3 weeks.