Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Reviews for the Treehouse Lodge near Iquitos, Peru

Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I were thinking of booking a few nights at the Treehouse Lodge ( their website: http://treehouselodge.com/ ) which seems to be a few hours away from Iquitos, Peru, but I can't seem to find any reviews online. Perhaps the hotel is too new? In any case, has anyone stayed here or heard anything about it?

Also, how concerned should we be with malaria if staying in the Amazon?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 01:49 PM

It looks beautiful. According to their Facebook they opened in January, so that's probably why you don't see reviews.

Incase you are still looking around, my boyfriend and I just booked a tour with allpahuayo mishana bed and trees, you can find them on AirBnB when you search for Iquitos, they have few, but all glowing reviews. They also have a website allpahuayomishana.net. and they have 5 stars on TripAdvisor from 17 reviews.

They don't do group tours, instead it would be just you and your gf staying at their lodge and your needs and desires are specifically catered to. I have had several very long emails with Danielle and Carmen and they are extremely thorough, friendly, and accommodating, and encourage my communication. I had spent a long time discussing scheduling and food requests and they made me feel totally comfortable taking my time. I believe they do social work in impoverished areas in Iquitos.

And, for a 4 day 3 night tour with guided trekking, boat rides, visits to native communities, and one full day boat excursion on the amazon it is only costing us 235 USD per person, and that includes lodging, food, everything. Probably less romantic than the treehouse looks though. And I don't think our guide will speak much English.

Anyway, the treehouse looks to be based out of Utah, so certainly you can call them, I think it looks like a great choice. My only worry if it is very new that maybe they haven't quite figured out what they are doing yet.
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 01:55 PM

As far as malaria, personally we aren't going to pop pills, but will instead take precautions with a couple varieties of natural insect repellent (California baby, plant therapy essential oils, and badger balm), long light colored clothes, and mosquito head net for night, since mosquitos tend to come out at dusk. I hear you can also take b vitamins as a natural repellent.
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 04:24 AM

viajewel I don't think you said when you are going on your trip, but I'd love to hear your review of the allpahuayomishana.net part of your trip when you return (any other part too, of course). The prices are just unbelievable and I would like to know if it lives up to it's website image. My husband and I (very seasoned WW travelers) are considering Peru and possibly another SA country this year but our interest is focused on the Amazon with other interests as secondary.

Just one other comment. While the malaria meds definitely have to be researched and carefully considered as some types have serious side effects, when we went to South Africa we were in a high risk area, so we decided to follow the advice of Passport Health (which has locations all over the US) and take Malarone. We had no problems at all with it. Because we both had other health issues, we decided the meds were the lesser of the two evils (malaria or a little nausea) and we had no nausea at all.

Look forward to hearing about your trip.
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 01:40 PM

My healthcare provider also suggests Malarone for the Peruvian Amazon. I did not have any side effects at all.

Here is the malaria map for Peru

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/...laria-map.aspx

In addition, there is a risk of dengue fever in Peru.
Those mosquitos bite during the daytime.

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/....aspx?Id=19603

I had no side effects from Malarone, either.