Machu picchu with a toddler and baby

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on traveling for 2 months next fall 2018 with our 3 year old and 6 month old baby to south America. Top on my list is Machu picchu in Peru. We are used to traveling off grid with our son and we do a lot of hiking, backcountry camping and mountain summits (that aren't scrambles) in the Canadian Rockies. Do you think it would be possible with kids that young?
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 11:54 AM

I'm all for showing kids the world, but I can't see where kids that age would get anything out of this trip. How are you going to transport the baby? MP is not stroller friendly at all.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

That is what I am asking. Is it possible? Have you been? We don't typically use our stroller, we baby carry on most of our travels. We have always continued to back pack and travel off the beaten path since having our son, but Machu picchu will be new to us.
Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 02:58 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Jeff, This new poster (welcome!) has a blog about traveling with kids. See her profile page ;-)
Old Oct 3rd, 2017, 03:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I would be a little more concerned about the three year old than the baby. Lots of steps, slopes, things to climb on. Other people not paying attention - our hiking guide was almost knocked into oblivion by someone charging up some stairs with their head down.

The one other caution would be something our guide told us hiking. If you need emergency help outside of cities or primary tourist locations like Machu Picchu, it most likely won’t arrive as quickly as it would back home (we’re also Canadian).

Other than those cautions it sounds like a great trip to me.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Awesome thanks for the advice! Looking forward to it
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 05:22 PM

When we were at MP, we saw a young couple with two toddlers. The couple was talking, admiring the view, etc. while their children played unsupervised in the grass where beyond the shelf was a drop of 20+ feet to a stone staircase beyond which the mountain fell straight down for hundreds of feet. I was terrified for the children and couldn't watch (can't tell people what to do with their children).

Later that day we saw an adult being carried out on a stretcher.

It is a beautiful place, but can be dangerous because people are absorbed with looking at the views and taking photos. They don't look where they are going, slip on the rocks and grass, stumble, bump into people. And many people are fuzzy minded because of the elevation...there isn't a safety net.

My husband and I are experienced hikers and we each slipped once on steps during the day. They were very slippery from rain.