Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Ipad Hackers in Peru? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/ipad-hackers-in-peru-1024573/)

DharmaBum Sep 3rd, 2014 07:21 AM

Ipad Hackers in Peru?

I am traveling to Peru soon. I use my ipad for editing my photos and I plan on taking it. There is some sensitive information on it. Do I need to worry about it being hacked?

Jeff_Costa_Rica Sep 3rd, 2014 07:53 AM

Not unless you are one of those celebrities who were in the news over the weekend concerning this problem. ;)

Seriously, if there is anything you're worried about, do not upload it to iCloud. I've seen a few reports over the past couple of days about changing the iCloud and Photo Stream settings on your iPad.

mlgb Sep 3rd, 2014 08:54 AM

You need to worry about it being stolen, not hacked.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Sep 3rd, 2014 09:05 AM

Very good point, mlgb.

thursdaysd Sep 3rd, 2014 03:21 PM

You need to worry about it being hacked if stolen. Plus, it can be taken from you by customs agents. I keep NO, repeat NO, sensitive information on my iPad (it's on my desktop or on paper). I don't keep any in the cloud either. But then, I spent 30 years working on computers and networks....

undergrace Sep 3rd, 2014 05:00 PM

mlgb is completely right. My friend's iPhone was taken from her pocket while walking around Cusco, and sadly it seems like that's not uncommon. It literally happened in seconds, a teenage girl "bumped into her" and ran off - we lost her in the crowd very quickly. Is it possible to bring a different camera and do your photo editing once you return home? I understand the desire to upload things pretty quickly but an iPad would be a huge thing to lose. I took a simple point-and-shoot camera for most of my pictures, but also had my cell phone and kept it in a hidden pocket. The cell phone pictures were uploaded once I was back at my hotel and had wifi. Maybe you could do something similar?

crellston Sep 5th, 2014 11:33 AM

I experienced no problems but clearly look after your ipad as theft is the bigger problem. I would also invest in a VPN / Proxy Server which will improve security considerably ( and enable your yo stream TV and movies from your home country!) . I found NetShade to be very good. The free apps just don't cut it.

sf7307 Sep 5th, 2014 01:14 PM

My friend's iPhone was taken from her pocket while walking around Cusco, and sadly it seems like that's not uncommon

My iphone (and a pair of earrings - not expensive) was stolen from my suitcase while it was being stored by the concierge at our very nice hotel (Casa Andina Private Reserve) in Cusco.

mlgb Sep 5th, 2014 03:12 PM

Wow that's unfortunate re the Casa Andina PR, which is supposed to be top-end. Did you say anything to them? I would have filed a report with the tourist police.

sf7307 Sep 9th, 2014 10:06 AM

I did say something and emailed them, and they basically threw up their hands. Unfortunately, we were leaving at 3 a.m. the morning after we got back, so there was no time to file a formal report.

mapipanorama Sep 21st, 2014 08:40 AM

@sf307 :
When it's possible, go back to the hotel and ask for the "Libro de Reclamaciones". Ususally it scares the owner who will do anything to find a solution.

For a theft, declare it to the PNP (Policia Nacional del Peru) where the theft declaration will help you with your insurance company.