Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page > Internal air travel..anything to watch out for?
Notices

Internal air travel..anything to watch out for?

Mar 21st, 2013, 10:01 PM
Original Poster

Internal air travel..anything to watch out for?

I have just started looking at internal round trip air schedules for July/August. BA to Lima to Cuzco and on to Santiago. Do any of you fellow travellers have any hints or tips ?
Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:24 PM

My experience has been that it's better to book everything in-country, and that's my main tip.

I presume by "round trip" you mean open-leg returns for everything but Lima/Cusco? I don't know if that's doable or if that's the best fare.

I don't think you can fly direct from Cusco to Santiago de Chile, so you'd be better off buying a round-trip Lima/Cusco.
Mar 22nd, 2013, 01:22 PM

Actually, if you are eligible for the LAN South American airpass, that can only be booked before you arrive in South America (I believe at least two weeks minimum). I found it gave reasonably good discounts for those very expensive one-way international legs between countries in SA.

I do know that things have changed in Peru since dwdvagamundo traveled and the advice to wait til you get there doesn't help much now. For Lima to Cusco, if you need to book a separate domestic ticket I would try Star Peru, they don't charge extra for nonresidents and you can book online.
Mar 22nd, 2013, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, it would be nice if you could do Cuzco to Santiago but alas it appears impossible to do direct.
We fly into Chile from Australia with LAN so the pass might be the way to go.

Search this Thread