Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Early Stage of Argentina Iinerary Planning

Hi all

I will be in Argentina for about 3 1/2 weeks in mid October 2012

I have rented an apartment in BA

I would like to visit Iguazu for ?2-3 t nights -I was thinking 2 nights a the Sheraton to maximize our time there
What do you suggest? I am not interested in exploring the jungle area while I am there

The other decision is either to go north to the Salta are for about 1 week OR south to Pantogonia etc
My concern is the weather in the south towards the end of october, and so I am ending to lean towards going north
We would do the south at another time
We will not go Mendoza or Bariloche

So: BA Iguazu Salta vs Pantogonia

What are your reccomendations?

Thanks
Sandy
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
IF is spectacular. I would definitely go there. We stayed at the Sheraton and enjoyed the easy access to the falls. The hotel itself wasn't anything special, but for location it couldn't be beat.

I believe you can now get flights from IF to Salta without connecting in BA which would be convenient and save u some time. Salta is wonderful. Not sure of the weather that time of year, so u should check that. We spent nine days in the area there and loved it. U need to either rent a car or go with a guide to get around. U can click on my name and read my TR of our visit there a few years ago. We have also gone to elCalafate as part of another trip to SA and had fun there. Trekking the glaciers was great. Where in Patagonia are u thinking?
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi yestravel
thanks for your response
I looked at your very wonderful trip report of the NOA and I will print it so that I can review it in great detail-it is exactly the type of trip that we love and reminds me of a great trip we did in southern Utah and Arizona for about 2 weeks
If we go south, (but I am leaning toward going north) it will be to the area of El Calafate and the glaciers, and El Chalton
So, how many nights in Iguazu do you think we should plan on?
I am also studying Spanish now-so that I can travel in SA and be able to have some ability to read and communicate-it is a lot of fun learning this language (I speak French and studied and now speak Italian and so the spanish is coming quickly)

Sandy
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 11:10 PM

Another vote for the Salta region which we visited in November a few years ago - a great time to go as the weather was just about perfect. You do need to rent car to make the most of it. A link to our blog with more information and photos on our time in Argentina - Entries# 70 onwards cover our time there.

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...ai/1/tpod.html

We did get down to Patagonia but only as far as Bariloche which was OK but we were there at "spring break" time in October so it was very busy with partying students so we moved on to Peninsula Valdes to see the whale (a long way but an excellent experience!). We enjoyed our time in San martin de Los Andes and really regret not going to El Calafate etc.

As yestravel says there are now flights directly between Salta and Iguazu but I think they only operate once a week so if this fits with your final schedule fine, if not you can always go by overnight bus.

As you are going all that way, I would highly recommend visiting the Brazilian side of the falls which provides a much different, more panoramic, perspective to the falls than the Argentine side which get you up close to the falls you would need a minimum of 2 , preferably 3 days to see both sides and 2 days for just the Argentine side. If you are a US citizen be aware that the visa fees for border crossing can be quite expensive.

You Spanish lessons will prove very useful as many people do not speak English. We really enjoyed our lessons when we first arrived in South America in Cusco, Peru where we spent every morning for a couple of weeks in spanish lessons which proved invaluable on our travels.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 11:29 AM

We did two nights in IF. We did not go to the Brazilian side because we did not want t pay the visa fee. If you can get a flight that arrives in am, spend the night, spend the next day on the ARG side, spend the night and either got to the Brazilian side or fly home. So either 2 or 3 nits deepening upon what u decide to visit.

el Calafate is good for a couple days, but I don't think much more. We were there longer and didn't really have much to c after a couple days. Have been to el Chalten, but have read many trip reports and it sounds wonderful. Sorry we skipped it.

Agree with crellston that San Martin de los Andes was really nice. We enjoyed it far more than Bariloche and we weren't there during any school breaks. Trying to figure out a trip to take us back that way. Our TR that includes elCalafate and San Martin de los Andes can be found here -- somewhere towards the end
http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...-chile-arg.cfm
If u go to elCalafate, check into going to Torres de Paine which is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Again, don't know the weather that time of the year, but it is close to el Calfate and easy to take a bus and spend a few days at the park for some great hiking and glacier viewing.
Wherever u choose, u will have a great trip. have fun planning!
Spanish will be great to know to help u as u travel.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 11:38 AM

sorry for all the typos -- we have NOT been to el Chalten
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi yestravel

I just read through your amazing Chile and S. Argentina report which was a treat to read.
My very good friend will be back next week from a 3 week trip to El calafate El chalton Mendoza and BA-so I will hear what she has to say as well
Thanks for all the great info and now I have to check the weather for the southern regions
And you are absolutely right, it is great fun to research and plan our travels
I have never been on a very long bus trip, and a 24 hour ride to Salta from Iguazu seems very long-I checked online, and Aerolineas Argentina does them
Actually , I will be in Peru for 3 weeks in May and will take the bus from Puno to Cusco

Sandy
Old Mar 18th, 2012, 01:14 PM

Hola from Cafayate (following in the excellent footprints of Crellston, yestravel, MarnieDWC and others!)

We were two nights in El Calafate - did a long day trip to FitzRoy and also saw the Perito Moreno glacier - it was lovely (although very rainy last week) and convenient for us to visit as we were coming from Ushuaia.

We are spending 12 nights in the Salta area and are loving it. Itinerary is:

- Salta 2 nights -- hotel El Lagar which is beautiful
- drove to Molinos via Cachi - great drive but sure glad it wasn't raining! It's the end of the rainy season and there is evidence of washouts. Stayed at Hacienda de Molinos - lovely
- drove to Cafayate yesterday - another stunning drive - staying at Hotel Killa - lovely again
- off tomorrow to Purmumarca for 3 nights (Marques de Tojo) and day trips to Salinas Grandes and the area north of Purma
- then 3 nights in an Estancia - Bordo de Las Lanzas

Then we're flying on the direct AA to Iguazu. Staying at Sheraton for 2 nights.

I can't speak to the weather in October, but can certainly recommend this area - will post a fuller trip report and link to our blog upon our return in a couple of weeks.
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 06:12 AM

Elizabeth_S what a great trip you and your DH are having - shows the benefit of good planning and great attitude. Your visit to the NOA sounds perfect - I wish we could have stayed longer, but you have whetted our appetites for a second visit there, on another trip. Continue to enjoy, and to post, please.

~Marnie
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 06:59 AM

Sandy - I was in the Salta region for 4 nights (not long enough!) in mid-September and had great weather. Not a drop of rain, fleece jackets were all we needed.

We made the mistake of spending all four nights in Salta and doing daytrips. If I ever go back, I would stay one or two nights there, but also stay in Purmamarca, Cafayate or Humahuaca and not have the long drives every day.

It's a fabulous region - you'll love it!
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 09:09 AM

Can't wait to read your full report Elizabeth - I am already wishing I was back there!!
Old Mar 19th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi all

Thanks for the postings

Liz- we will most likely follow your trail in Salta
I have rented a car from Hertz in town and pick it up when
we leave Salta after 2 nights and do the same itinerary

We will do Iguazu before for 2 or 3 nights depending on the flights there from BsAs-I have 2 reservations

I will hold off booking domesic fligths for the moment as -if you book with LAN international, you get a better rate domestically-and I hope to find a ticket on sale!!

We will leave the south for another trip

Sandy
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 10:08 AM

sb1020 - home now so will do a Salta/area TR soon but wanted to comment about Hertz. (long rant to follow - fair warning!)

We are #1 Club members and receive a discount and upgrade via our Amex card ... I compared costs and Hertz was about the best.

We booked a 4 door Chevrolet Corsa, hoping for an upgrade the day of pick up at the Downtown office. The day before our pick up I did a bit of shopping around (many rental car companies around the Plaza) and found a slightly better deal via Europcar but also went to the Hertz office and the agent reviewed our reservation/Amex status/etc and, after checking the car inventory, thought we had a reasonable chance for an upgrade the next day... so I elected to stay with Hertz.

The next day when we arrived at the Hertz office for pick up another agent had a series of confusing, contradictory comments about our rental:

- Hertz Argentina does not participate in the Amex upgrade offer (uh, the agent the day before said they did)
- but if they did (huh? - do they or don't they?) the 4 door Corsa was already an upgrade from the 3 door one we had booked (no, we had written confirmation of a 4 door)
- anyway - there weren't any cars available for upgrade

At that moment the agent from the previous day arrived and suddenly we were offered a Ford Ecosport - it looks like a 4 wheel/all wheel but isn't...but it is peppier than the Corsa and is front wheel drive.

There was some consternation at that point between the two agents so we moved quickly to get out of Dodge, with our upgrade! We checked out the vehicle (which was relatively new at 21,000km) and left. At the time we both noted the condition of the rear tires as we loaded luggage, and checked the spare, but didn't look specifically at the front tires (foreshadowing the rest of the story)

Driving was interesting and fun - lots of switchback gravel roads but the rainy season had passed so the roads were dry. It was only the 2nd to last day we had rain while we were traveling on paved roads, and realized how dangerously bald the front tires were. Given the car only had 21,000km it was clear these weren't the original front tires - and they certainly didn't match the condition of the rear tires. Fortunately we didn't have far to travel before returning the vehicle to the Hertz office at the Salta airport.

The Hertz office opened minutes before we had to board our flight and we raced through the check in process - but the manager had the decency to express shock and disgust at the condition of the front tires......we didn't pursue it with him but I still might contact Hertz Corporate. We feel some degree of responsibility given we did check the car out...but nonetheless the tires should never have been put on a vehicle.

Reason for my rant - if you are using a North American credit card and hoping for an upgrade be sure to have a strong argument (or in my case an insistent tone of voice!) and be sure to double check the vehicle for safety issues.
Old Apr 4th, 2012, 03:41 PM

The NW is really stunning. October is a great time. Specilly because it does NOT rain and you will be able to enjoy any single day. You can use the Direct lights to Salta from Iguazu and save time and money.
Warm regards,
Angie/Flintstones