Who has taken their kids to Peru?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! We have been of the boards for awhile, but we are now in the process of another trip to Peru.

My wife and I went to Cusco, SV, and MP last year alone, but this time we would like to take our 10 year old son. The problem we are running into now is that we need to help my ex wife feel OK about taking him. While I can legally take him on the trip, I want her to feel comfortable with us taking him. We have been discussing it a lot and she knows that we are going to go for sure. We will be staying with Percy and his family for a few days and a few days in Olly.

Has anyone on here taken their kid around the same age as our son? Could you give us some pointers on how you handled things while in Peru? Lastly, any good stories about how your kid benefitted from the trip?

THanks in advance for the help!!!!!
Old Dec 23rd, 2010, 04:12 AM

www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo/Peru/peru.htm ·

my son some years ago enjoyed the trekking very much...

very safe Peranos were very loving and friendly

with children in all situations.

www.travel.state.gov Peru for parental permission issues

they do check this carefully usually.

www.mirabusperu.com cheap fun way to do Lima for kids.

Do use labeled cabs like www.limacabs.com to be safe

Happy Journey,
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 05:18 AM

We traveled to Peru with our boys when they were 6 and 8 (and plan to go back sometime). We based our SV stay out of Ollantaytambo and it was fabulous! We visited Machu Picchu, Pisac, Chinchero, Urubomba, etc. Then later spent a few days in Cuzco. We arranged for a private, English-speaking guide and driver for these tours through Magical Cusco Tours www.magicalcuzcotours.com (highly recommended!). We even got to do some volunteer work at a local school in Huaracondo (very rewarding).

Ollanta is small and safe, and everyone very friendly and helpful. The kids loved climbing around in the ruins, and hanging out in the plaza. We were there during the Tres Magos festival (around January 6) so there were music groups, dancing, bullfights, fireworks, etc. for several days. The town also has a festival around Pentecost (usually in May).

When we go back, we'll do a guided hike to MP (from MP 104 - it's only 1 or 2 days from there). Your son might like that. Another recommendation is to spread out the touring days or only tour for 1/2 days, and then spend some hang out time in Ollanta. For example, my kids loved the fortress there and played tag/hiding games on the terraces. We loved it so much we went back for a second day!

Your son might like reading Inca Gold from the Choose Your Own Adventure Series to get excited about the trip! Good luck and have fun!
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply! That is what we were loking for. My wife and I have both been to all the places you mentioned, and really liked that your kids enjoyed it as well.

Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM

We were in the Cusco, MP, SV, and Lima last summer with our boys who were 7 and 10 at the time. We loved the trip and we all had a fantastic time!! We never felt unsafe at all! Our only issue was altitude - it impacted the 10 year old the most. Be sure to be prepared and ask your pediatrician about meds before you go (although - I dont think the Diamox helped him a bit!! Our driver did travel with Oxygen and that plus a nap made a world of difference!)

We also were based in Olly (except while in MP - we stayed at the glorious Inkaterra) and it was much better than being in Cusco as the altitude is lower.

HTH!!

Check out my full trip report.
http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...t-170896-2.cfm
Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:02 AM

National Geographic Kids has been to Cuzco here is the link;

http://kidsblogs.nationalgeographic....IncludeBlogs=2

The kids apparently really loved it, have a good, fun, trip.
you can scratch Cuzco off the once in a lifetime list.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 05:59 AM

Has anyone hiked the Inca trail with their kids? Mine a novice hikers, both fit, ages 11 and 14. I think if I tell them we are going for 4 days it may send them over the edge so I was considering the 2 day. Any comments?