Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Inca Rail (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/inca-rail-835605/)

fball Apr 13th, 2010 08:26 PM

Inca Rail

Has anyone purchased train tickets through Inca Rail? I will be staying in Ollantaytambo with my family of 5. I want to go on the earliest train to MP and return on the latest. It looks as though Inca Rail leaves early in the morning the return train leaves MP at 7 p.m. Peru Rail leaves early but the return time is listed as 14:30. I don't want to return that early in the afternoon. I have not received any response to my inquiries from Inca Rail. Any suggestions?

Axel2DP Apr 14th, 2010 08:15 AM

Why not just book the Inca Rail return at 7pm? Or spend the night at AC (if it's possible to do that currently) and return to Ollantay the next morning with Peru Rail. Either option will cost you more, but it's MP, so why not? ;)

mlgb Apr 14th, 2010 09:12 AM

Peru Rail has later trains than that, are you going in the next few weeks when the afternoon trains are likely to be sold out?

I think I would also book the Inca Rail train, don't wait, if you are going soon.

Also you are aware that until the railroad reconstruction is complete, you will be taking a bus from Olly to/from Piscacucho, right?

sigms81 Apr 14th, 2010 06:47 PM

it took awhile for inca rail to respond to me. keep in mind they require a bank/wire transfer to secure your rail tickets whereas peru rail allows customers to pay with credit card through their website.

fball Apr 15th, 2010 07:11 AM

Thank you for your responses. I've been trying to avoid staying in Aguas Caliente, preferring to just go back to Ollantaytambo. I'll keep trying Inca Rail & hope they get back to me. We are going at the end of June so I should still have time to get tickets.

mlgb Apr 15th, 2010 09:34 AM

End of June is very busy with Inca Trail people don't wait too long, especially if you have a group of 5. You may just have to do the overnight in Aguas Calientes to get a full day's worth of sightseeing. On the other hand a return at 2:30 pm isn't too bad if the first train is really early, like 6 am it should be enough time.

fball Apr 21st, 2010 07:33 AM

If anyone is interested, Inca Rail is up & running, even responding, though slowly, to email reservations. We have paid with a bank/wire transfer which was very easy to do online through our bank. I don't know the charge but it is, I'm sure, cheaper than the $50 per ticket charge Peru For Less quoted me for them to reserve it for us. Inca Rail has an early departure from Ollantaytambo, where we are staying, & a 7 p.m. return both of which work perfectly for us.

lerasp Apr 21st, 2010 11:44 AM

is Inca Rail confirming they are departing from Olly? What dates is this for? Peru Rail is still running only from Km 82 and you have to make your way there yourself. what is the actual situation with Inca Rail?

fball Apr 22nd, 2010 07:27 AM

According to Inca Rail, we leave from Ollantaytambo by bus to Piscacucho (60 minutes) then by train. This is for 6/29.