Punta Arenas to TdP - Please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Punta Arenas arriving at 10:30(?)am and would like to get to TdP by that evening. Various things I've read leave me unsure. For example, I heard that the bus from PA to Puerto Natales arrives an hour after the last bus leaves for TdP. True? Are there any buses direct to TdP or must we change in Puerto Natales? Are there other options besides renting a car? Any help will be appreciated.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM

You must change busses in Puerto Natales as far as I know. Also, I think I read that if you want an airport pickup in Pta Arenas, you need a reservation. Actually, I think you need a reservation anyways, and when I was there I needed to go physically to the bus station in Pta Arenas to have my ticket voucher endorsed with a seat number!

You may be able to arrange a van transfer from Natales if you miss the bus. However they can be very expensive if it's a private transfer, and not a tour. The van tours leave in the morning, and instead of returning to Natales, they can drop you off before they exit the park, at the shuttle transfer point. I think it is worth the extra cost, you will see views from the south side of the park with a few walks, and these locations are complicated to reach if you don't have a car.

It isn't the end of the world if you spend the night in Natales, it's a pleasant town and a good place to stock up on any supplies that you might need in TdP. Another option, depending on where and how long you are staying, is that some of the lodgings in TdP have inclusive packages that include the pickup from the airport. Hotel Las Torres and Explora both do this, I believe.

I found it quite difficult to communicate with the bus agencies in Chile by phone or email.

Good luck!
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM

There are buses which go "direct" from Punta Arenas (Pacheco, Barria) but they leave very early in the day; 7-7.30 am. They stop in Puerto Natales to pick up passengers and then go on.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I didn't consider that the tour would be a nice way to see some of the parks. Does anyone have any they could recommend?
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM

My hotel in Puerto Natales (Lady Florence Dixie) booked me into Jose Coro. The driver spoke mostly Spanish but they were flexible. I believe this option is called "Seat In Bus" or "Seat in Van" tour. Note that most of the hotels also have a travel agent function, and it's a good idea to use them!

Others with websites (maybe they are bilingual)

www.tourexpress.cl
www.carfranpatagonica.com
http://www.viaterra.cl/Eng/Html/services.html
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Sorry bad typing on the second link, try

http://www.carfranpatagonia.com/
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Casa Cecilia is a good little guest house sort of place if you are on a budget. As migb says, most lodging has tours available too.
http://www.casaceciliahostal.com/index2.html
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone taken the boat/zodiac trip from Puerto Natales to TdP?
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:07 PM

I did not, but some of my cellmates at Lodge Paine Grande did. They hit it on a very rough day and said it was quite frightening on the zodiac portion, but beautiful. They were on a package tour that had all of the other necessary transfers and camping arranged. I just had too hard a time figuring out the logistics for onward land travel after arrival at TdP. Instead I took a day trip on the Turismo 21 de Mayo cutters, from Natales, which I think covers the same trip down the Ultima Esperanza Fiord, but you around and return to Natales..
Here is the website but again I'm not sure it's worth the effort to deal with them directly. I was able to book thru the hotel in Natales.
http://www.turismo21demayo.cl/index1.htm

Also my photos for the Ultima Esperanza tour which includes a big parillada lunch (unfortunately I was having a bit of tummy bug and didn't eat as much as normal).

http://picasaweb.google.com/kiwifann...erranoGlacier#