How to avoid backtracking (as opposed to backpacking) Cusco, SV, MP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning the to visit Cusco, Sacred Valley, and Machu Picchu in May this year and are trying to find the best way to schedule activities to avoid backtracking whenever possible. We prefer to travel independently but understand that for some activities (Inca Trail) you have to join an organized tour. We had hoped to spend a day in Cusco sightseeing on our own and then a day travelling through the Sacred Valley (Pisac ruins, market, etc.). We would like to do the Sacred Valley on our own as well, but haven't quite figured out the logistics yet (local bus? hire taxi for the day? or just give up an join a SV tour?).

One issue with an organized SV tour is that they bring you back to Cusco and we had thought it would be better to spend the night in Ollantaytambo or Urubamba and then continue on to Machu Picchu on day three. We had hoped we could join a tour that would catch the train in Ollantayambo and disembark at KM 104 for the one day hike into Machu Picchu. However, all the tours we have found so far, seem to want to put you on the train in Cusco (backtracking again).

Am I missing something or making this harder than it has to be? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 04:13 PM

I think hiring a taxi for the day is going to be your best bet for touring the Sacred Valley if you want that independence. I'm sure the driver will expect you to pay his fare back to Cusco; even if you're not going back, he has to.

The organized Sacred Valley tours follow much the same itinerary: morning in Pisac, lunch in Urubamba, afternoon in Ollantaytambo, back to Cusco. I suppose you could ask the tour operator in advance for permission not to return to Cusco and to stay in Ollantaytambo. I don't know if the tour van would have room for your bags. You'd need to clear that with them in advance.

Any tour operator worth its salt can put together a la carte tours and transfers tailored to your needs too. You'll pay more, of course, but that could be an option.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
R u only planning on spending 1 day in the SV? If that is the case hire a taxi to drive u where u want to go. That shouldn't be a problem. I would recommend spending several days exploring the SV. The ruins at Pisac are fabulous and Ollantaytambo is a great town to kick back in and spend some time in.

Can't help with MP as we took the train from Ollantaytambo and didn't do the hike. It's really not much of a backtrack from Ollan back to Cusco -- maybe 40 minutes at the most.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 04:43 AM

It is always best to go by cab for $25 from airport to

www.ollantaytambo.org www.apulodge.com

for a few days visit MP SV from there adjust to altitude

then go back up to Cusco 11000 ft! AFTER you have adjusted.

www.qente.com www.incalandadventures.com Flavio for trek.

www.insuremytrip.com always wise many scammers.

Always do best self guiding cheap tonnes of fun...
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 12:10 PM

It's usually recommended to stay in Cusco before Inca Trail treks, in order to acclimate. I'm guessing that is why the treks start there.

You perhaps could just have the trekkers book you back to Ollantaytambo by train. Spend the night after in Ollantaytambo (depending on when you return from Aguas Calientes, you may have time to see the ruins there in the afternoon or the next morning. You can hire a taxi to take you via Chinchero, Moray and the Salineras back to Cusco.

I found it easy to day trip to Pisac from Cusco.