Search

Maybe it's Altitude Confusion...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe it's Altitude Confusion...

I am so confused:

Can anyone describe the relative advantages of staying in a hotel in Tilcara vs a hotel in Parmamarca ?

Is Parmamarca more interesting in the evening but overrun with tourists and tour buses all day ?

Is Tilcara totally asleep by early evening, but a more authentic, NW town ?

I can see that there are quite nice hotels in or around either location, but I do not get a sense of the ability to walk to a restaurant, for example, or a plaza, in the evening.

Any light you can shed will be greatly appreciated.

~MarnieWDC
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Maybe Angie or Flintstones will reply?
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM

I stayed in both, one night in Tilcara and 2 nights in Purmamarca in 2007. I think either is fine. Tilcara was quite a bit bigger (and did seem more authentic), while Purmamarca had more tourists. We had two excellent dinners in Purmamarca, and one mediocre lunch. Dinner choices in Tilcara seemed fewer, but I thought there seemed like a bit more "life" to the town. I liked the museum and the ruins in Tilcara more than the in town sights in Purmamarca. The latter offers easier access to the salt flats--not to miss. The 7 colors loop was ok, but I thought it a bit crowded with cars to walk, and it was hard to get a picture without a vehicle in it. Can't remember how long it took to get from Tilcara to Purmamarca, maybe a half hour? Certainly less than an hour. Only Tilcara had gas. Purmamarca had an ATM which was out of money. We stayed in town in Tilcara and walked easily to dinner, if somewhat downhill. We stayed just out of the town in Purmamarca, maybe 10 minute walk. I think we walked to dinner in town. It was much smaller and everything was within a few blocks.

All in all, I think you will enjoy either one. I would certainly say you should visit both towns. Find a hotel that appeals to you and fits your budget. You'll enjoy the NW.

Good luck.
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 01:07 AM

We visited both places and decided to stay overnight in Purmamarca. Both towns have a variety of places to stay and a number of decent restaurants. On balance, I would say that Tilcara was the more touristy of the two places but both are pretty quiet when the buses have departed in the late afternoon. If you are into photography then stay in Purmamarca as the best time to photagraph the Cerro de los Siete Colores is in the early morning 7-9am when the angle of the sun really brings out the colours of the hills and there are few cars or buses to spoil the view. For the best effect I would suggest walking the loop first to get a close up look at the hills and then driving along the road out of town towafrds the main highway for a panoramic view. As traveller318 suggests, don't miss the Salt Flats, they reallya re spectacular.

Have fun! The Northwest is one of my favourite places in Argentina (or indeed the whole of South America!). A bit more detail can be found on our blog;

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...6060/tpod.html

Entries 88 - 94 cover the region
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Traveler318 thank you sooo much. That is exactly the information I wanted.

Crelleston, your NW Blog is like my Michelin Green Guide, along with that of dl/yestravel. And now you have answered my specific questions.

It appears that we could comfortably stay in either location -depending upon our specific day-trip plans and hotel availability. I think, from what youall have described, that Tilcara might be more appealing for us, but we'll see. I will post a TR - alas, not until February !

Crelleston, when will you be setting up your B&B in the NW ?

Muchas Gracias. ~Marnie
Old Sep 13th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Crellston: demand for your B&B in our NW is growing by the minute! What are you waiting for?
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM

Marmie; IMO, Purmamarca is much nicer naturally for the landscape and it is not so "invaded" by hippies. Tilcara is bigger and January is NOT recommended becasue all the young backpackers stay there drunk and noisy.
Purmamarca is a little town framed by the 7 colour mountains, wherever you see the colours come up. There some hotels where the view is espectacular like LA COMARCA and CASA DE ADOBE. The food is great in any of the restaurants in Purmamarca and in Tilcara. I am comfident any of the towns you choose will always be the best for you that is why you have so many diverse opinions in the forum. The ones who stayed in Tilcara they can not say abotu Purmamarca, the ones who stayed in both places will be happy with both towns. BUT You should experience yourself and it will also be the best choice. Anyway, in the NW you can not make mistakes. Everything is soooooo beauuuuuutiful that will not care too much.
Warm regards,
Flintstones.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Gracias, Flintstones.
~Marnie
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 12:25 AM

Marnie and avrooster. Many thanks for your ongoing interest in our business plans. It serves only to fuel my enthusiam for such a project! The prospect of opening a B&B in the NW still features very highly in a number of business plans we are considering. However, for a number of family reasons, our plans are on hold at the moment as we are committed to staying in the UK at least the next few months.

A further reason for the delay is that in a separate, off forum, exchange of emails, our Argentine financial/economic adviser (aka avrooster!!!) has counselled that the Argentine economy could be overdue for a setback and that property asset values/currency could well fall and that now may not be the best time to buy property. I tend to concur with his outlook and I am keeping a close eye on the situation things.....
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 02:28 AM

Well, I guess my next visit to the NW can wait for a few months.....

"Buy fur coats in summer and Panama hats in winter" and "buy when blood is flowing in the streets", said some people who knew what they were talking about.

We had such an opportunity in 2002 and seem to have such situations periodically. Will history repeat????