Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   How long to spend at Machu Picchu - Puno questions also (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/how-long-to-spend-at-machu-picchu-puno-questions-also-929114/)

julebarbara Mar 25th, 2012 02:01 PM

How long to spend at Machu Picchu - Puno questions also

Senior travelers 71,81 spending the night in AC - Planning to take early bus up to MP -what would be a good train to book back from MP to Olly - What are suggestions for bringing food, water for the day.

Can anyone suggest a good agency for day tour to the islands - are the tours to the remote sides worth the double price? Is arriving at the end of the day and then doing the island tour the next morning a good idea or is it better to have an extra day in between for Puno and surrounding area? We will be arriving from Colca Canyon.

qwovadis Mar 26th, 2012 03:11 AM

apulodge.com for great MP info super place to stay for me in ollantaytambo.org. When there last I trained in the night B4 on the backpacker train from ollantaytambo.org stayed in Presidente
Hotel peru-explorer.com got up at 5AM went up for the sunrise and spent 1 full day it was PLENTY.Carried some food/water in my jacket pocket.

titcacaperu.com or egaradventures.com 2 best Puno agents.

Have fun!

qwovadis Mar 26th, 2012 03:13 AM

titicacaperu.com
edgaradventures.com

Sorry for typos.

flytheworld Mar 30th, 2012 07:49 AM

The islands in Puno are easy to do and only take an hour or two depending on how long you want to spend there (or you can stay overnight if you feel adventurous!). I went three days ago and really enjoyed seeing them. There are lots of companies that you can go through, so I suggest waiting until you get there and comparing prices.

geetika Apr 2nd, 2012 01:03 AM

Carry sandwiches and a couple of bottles of water with you to MP, you're good for the day. We took the Vistadome both ways, probably more comfortable than the backpacker. How are you getting there?

Get to the marina at Puno and you'll find lots of operators to take you out to the Uros islands. I believe you need to arrange in advance if you want to do a homestead stay, but again that should be simple. Enjoy, you'll have a great vacation :)

crellston Apr 3rd, 2012 12:32 AM

MP - Take plenty of water (+food if you think you are going to be there all day). We got the early bus up and had seen enough by late morning so we went back to AC (to be fair, I was suffering with stomach problems that prompted the early return). Be careful where you eat in Ac as it is renowned for its food hygeine issues.

I would add in an extra day for Puno if only to acclimatise to the increased altitude. We had been at altitude for several weeks and were still affected by the additional metres above sea level. We arrived at fiesta time and the town was very colorful with lots of marching bands, military parades etc. Some decent restaurants around town. Not sure how lively it would be at non - fiesta time. Tours operators are everywhere in the town and most will offer very similar services. It is also possible to arrange the same trips at the dock for less money. Uros is entertaining but a bit of a theme park. The lake itself was spectacular as was the hike around taquile island where we had lunch with a local family. We had intended to stay overnight on one of teh islands but my wife was ill so we went back to Puno. It is very easy to arrnge an overnight on one of the islands the day but the conditions can be a bit basic which some may not like (personally, I have stayed in much worse places).