Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

how far ahead to check into Buenos Aires airport?

Oct 15th, 2019, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

When we were there about five years ago, we got to the airport around 5 for a 10 pm flight back to the US, only to find that our airline wouldn't allow check in until 3 hrs before the flight. We'll be leaving from there next Feb. (2020), again on a 10 pm flight, and wondered how early we should get there. I'm pretty sure we'll have passes to the airline lounge, if that affects your advice. Oh! and the day we depart is a national holiday in Argentina. Thanks.
Oct 16th, 2019, 03:07 AM

Every time we have flown out of EZE we have had problems, usually because of industrial action of one type or another. The last time we arrived about 4 hours before departure and the queues were horrendous. We only just made it to check in before the desk closed. We had tried to check In online but couldn’t (apparently because of a change of plane).

National holidays aren’t going to help any so personally, I don’t think 5 hours is unreasonable ( but in fairness my wife always tells me I leave too early for flights.

If at all possible, check in print your boarding pass and head to the lounge. If you do have to check in bags then the opening time of the bag drop will largely depend on the airline and whether they have any flights due out prior to yours.
Oct 16th, 2019, 10:58 AM

As crellston says, the answer to your question depends on what airline you're flying. FlyerTalk has a lot of regular EZE travelers, so if you post on there (the Argentina forum) and say what airline you're flying and when, people will definitely know what airline counters are open when and whether you can check in early if they have prior flights. I don't think this forum can provide the level of detail that you need.

Also... passes to the lounge -- does that mean you're elite status on one of the alliances and can use the first/biz check-in area? That also affects things.
Oct 18th, 2019, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. United's website says their desk at EZE opens three hours ahead. We haven't actually made our resv. yet, as hubby needs to call United and see about using miles + $$ to upgrade to biz class. That's why I mentioned the lounge. I'll visit Flyer Talk; I had never heard of it til now.