Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

How do I get a refund for a Reciprocity fee?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A co-worker paid his fee in 2010 and has the document in his passport that shows it is good until 2020. However last week he was required to pay again because they said it had to be 'a sheet of paper', not inside the passport. He didn't argue, paid the fee and has now requested I try to get a refund. Argh. I don't speak much Spanish so any help in getting to the correct web page to request this is appreciated.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 06:09 AM

Welcome to the Argentina forum, Carolyn Gill!

You could try http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/accesibleingles/ and I suggest you read this thread http://tinyurl.com/cp75rdm

However, my advice is not to waste too much time on this, as getting back money already paid to our government has to be one of the most impossible tasks imaginable.

Further questions are quite welcome, but I'm afraid that's the way I see it.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. If there is a quick and easy way to do this, I can't find it on their website. Have you heard of anyone having this kind of difficulty? He goes to Argentina a couple of times a year (responsible for S.A. Sales) and although it's not a big deal to double pay once, if they make him pay this everytime, the accounting guys are going to get ticked.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 07:59 AM

Almost certainly there is no "quick and easy way" to do this, which is why I suggested not wasting too much time trying.

However, your "co-worker" should, for future trips, try to have this in whatever way it is required by the authorities("a sheet of paper"?).

Post #6 in http://tinyurl.com/cp75rdm describes how a person I helped with this matter did it. I understand you are supposed to print out everything, which I guess is what they mean by "a piece of paper".

Perhaps your "co-worker" knows people in BA who could help him with the almost impossible task of getting money back from the Argentine government?
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I won't spend any more time on it, it just seems strange that 3 years ago he paid the fee, the proof (a piece of paper) is glued into his passport, he's used it in the past but suddenly, they want a separate sheet of paper (not attached in the passport). C'est la vie.

Thanks again for your time.
Old Apr 18th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Was it the airline or Argentine immigration which asked for "the piece of paper"? People who have paid under the new online system have a print out of their receipt, a piece of paper. Those who paid the fee before that have the relevant receipt in their passport. The airline personnel at check in may need to be reminded of this.
Old Apr 19th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Argentine immigration.