Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page > How bad are the floods in Rio currently?
Notices

How bad are the floods in Rio currently?

Dec 13th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

How bad are the floods in Rio currently?

I saw CNN videos that showed the flooding in Rio. I certainly feel bad by the residents and this reminds me of my town while growing up.

I will be flying into Rio next week. I am staying at Windsor Florida hotel (Rua Ferreira Viana, 81 - Flamengo), and we plan to visit Jardim Botanico, Cristo Redentor, Sugarloaf and the beaches (Copacabana and Ipanema). Are these areas or the route to them flooded? Does anyone know?

Thanks,
D
Dec 13th, 2013, 06:38 AM

Neither areas are flooded right now. However, there is a risk of flood next week, according to INMET/RJ, due to a cold front that may come from Uruguay.

Weather is unpredictable, so I wouldn't bother with it. You won't be at risk if you avoid the areas of risk, such as those close to the hills. If it starts raining heavily, just go back to your hotel, or go somewhere safe. It is not like a tsunami, most people who cannot avoid it are those who live close to risky places, or cannot leave their works before the storms get worse.
Dec 13th, 2013, 06:40 AM

I must add that most storms go away quickly, in a few minutes or hours, so floods usually won't last long.

Search this Thread