hotel in which neighborhood in buenos aires

Old Nov 8th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel in which neighborhood in buenos aires

considering a relatively short trip late much to argentina: oldest daughter teaches school in nyc has one week vacation; would probably leave on the thursday night before and return possibly following saturday/sunday. Maybe other duaghter can go also. Reading between the lines it seems microcenter and the area around plaza mayor not the safest area to wander around in evening. My wife and I are 'young' senior citizens. From my reading-soho palermo the place to be-around plaza serrano. Possibly closer to subway stations-hence BoBo hotel -if booked; then what else? Suggestions for other places. If near subway (is it safe at night-evenings?), better mobility. Also would go to Iguazu. Was thinking of Salta-but my wife is from Peru and it is similiar; thinking of barolche-but too much and maybe a little cool for my wife--wants nice weather. Thinking of an estancia near BA for daytrip or Colonia plus estancia? Peoples suggestion re hotels and itinararies appreciated. From family members are not happy with old hotels, smallish rooms (but this could be acceptable if newish-refurnished). Would love to stroll around safely at night without worries, etc
Old Nov 10th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Hi
Palermo would be great for all of you. The Bobo, the Home Hotel are two very nice hotels. In Recoleta there are some fine hotels, The Etoile, The Loi Suites, and you can rent an apt for the three of you easily from various apartment rental companies .

I never take the Subte but pickpockets are a problem.
Buses, taxis and walking are also good ..

You can go visit Colonia for a day, taking the high speed ferry from BA in the am, coming back in the pm.
Or you can make a combined trip of Colonia by ferry, overnight there, bus to Montevideo, stay a night or two then ferry back from there.

Iguazu needs at least 2 days, fly there, Sheraton Hotel is the only hotel IN the park, you can stay elsewhere for less but add travel time to getting to and from Falls etc.

A taxi / hired car can take you to San Antonio de Areco where you can see the gauchos in their own environment, stay in an inn/hotel or estancia. Shop, ride , sightsee. Or do it as a day trip.

Other day trips .. train to Tigre, on the Delta, take a boat tour, Delta Unplugged.
San Isidro by train on a Sunday for a very nice antiques feria and beautiful area to walk around, sightsee, photograph.

Strolling around at night without worries, I live in Recoleta and we wander around at all hours of the night, when my dog was alive we walked him and would end up sitting in the park , eating ice cream late at night : - )
Palermo is good , Palermo Botanico is good.
I cannot promise that walking around at night is without worries anywhere in town but some place offer more worries than others .. San Telmo is one that worries me.
Hope this helps ~
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Could expand on the subway issue. The subway is three blocks from the bobo in sohopalermo. Would be convenient upon return from microcentro during daylight. When does the subtle become seedy? Want to visit San Antonio de Acero plus estancia during a day trip, possibly there is a tour company that does both in one day. It would be nice if there is time to visit Salta area. All of this in a very long week of nine days starting in NY and returning. Perhaps four days in BA. Thank you.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 02:23 PM

Yes, I am sure it is very convenient. You will be forewarned and keep things close if the trains are crowded .. pickpockets are a problem as well as some kind of scheme where one person pretends they are getting sick and the others pick your pocket while you are distracted. I never take the Subte so I am no help other than repeating this little bit.

San Antoinio de Areco is a town, so you can just hire a car to go there and wander. I live in BA so I never remember tour company names, sorry ..
Hopefully Marnie will see this and answer, she did this about a year ago and loved it.

We were in BA for 10 days the first visit .. actually, the only "visit".. we moved here 5 months later :- ) So be warned .. you might fall in love and have to live here too.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another problem to be aware of on the subte is the "nasty substance on the back of your coat" scam, which I encountered when changing lines. (See my TR.) Scam not confined to the subte, others have been victims on the streets.
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 06:29 AM

We have taken the subte a few times, but never liked it...but we are there in the hottest season, and it is HOT and muggy - in addition to being easy spot for mugging (as Scarlett and thursday noted above). We do like the buses, taxis and walking.

A trip to Salta, for less than 5 days, would be, in my opinion, a strain on your short time in Argentina. It warrants more time and the flights are expensive and seem to take most of your travel days.

San Antonio de Areco, on the other hand is a lovely trip (by bus or taxi or remis) into the Pampas. We really enjoyed the town, as Scarlett remembered, and spent nights in town at a lovely Parador with pool and garden, just off the square. The second day we were picked up by a driver from Estancia el Ombu and spent a wonderful day there. Here is a link to our TR of that visit to the Pampas: Side Trip to SAN ANTONIO de ARECO & Estancia EL Ombu
http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...t-4th-week.cfm
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

one issue is in late march how bad does it rain. I see the most rain falls in March. If I am there in late March, describe the issues I will have with the rain
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

i just spoke to a friend of mine who loved staying at the Marriott at the end of Florida Street in Microcentro. Contrary to want I read; he said the area was busy at night with people out at night, etc, good for tourists. Is it still safe there?
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 09:41 AM

I avoid Florida street at every time of the day. I can't stand being down there, it is mobbed with people all day and a paradise for pick pockets.
And it is not pretty.

Stay in a neighborhood where people live and there are parks and where you don't have to take a taxi everywhere.

And I have never seen Florida St busy at night, everything closes and it is dead quiet .
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 09:42 AM

Maybe I am not sure of the end of Florida St that you are speaking of but I stand by the advice to stay in a regular neighborhood where you can walk day or night, safely.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Sorry - it rains but it can be a soft rain, I rarely need an umbrella, you just wear a light rain jacket and go.. the rains don't usually last long .
I think the worst rain we have had in years has was this past couple of months.. Spring.
Heavy flooding downpours.
Old Nov 18th, 2012, 06:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Jack- We had worst hotel experience of our lives at that Marriott. I posted a review on Fodors under Hotels but it was worsevthan I put in review! Do not stay there or in that area. We moved to Recoleta, Melia Recoleta Plaza, wonderful spot, great location, service, near excellent restaurants.
Only get in taxis called by hotels or restaurants. Enjoy this great city.
Old Nov 20th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

saw a property called the poetry in recoleta on junin/around santa fe; wondering about this area. How does soho palermo stand in comparasion to this area. What do you think of that area-where The Poetry is?
thanks. Looking at aproperty called Poetry in the area of junin/santa fe? in recoleta? How does that stand up? Differences between that area and areas where BOBO hotel/serrano plaza in soho palermo. Also separate questions: upon arrival to Buenos Aires in EZE how long will it take from landing, immigrations, etc to exit and then taxi to recoleta assuming that landing would be about 11AM. conceirge Likewise, checking-in at EZE for international flights--twohours or need more. Tax at EZE is it just leaving or bothcomming and going? Additionally, going to Iguazu--from Newberry- how much time prior to flight for check-in? Less? No tax with traveling within Argentina? Questions about daytrip (overnight?) to look at Punta del Este? Would be about 10-12 days post busy season. Best to buy internal flights from an Argentine travel agency? Lastly,thinking about contacting maybe a guide to help coordinate or maximize our travel in argentina for those 8-9 days, saw on trip advisor buenos aires concierge, com Lots of questions--as usual. thanks for all the valuable input.

T
Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM

I stayed at poetry apartment for one week(11/4 to 11/11/2012) & had a great time.Apartment are adequate for 2 people,clean with
good access to buses & subte.we traveled daily with bus system with ease.Apartment staff speaks fluent English & very helpful.
the location is good(Recolata),Walking distance to recokata cemetery & w hesitate to returne felt safe in the area walking at night(we did not walk after 10 p.m.)GOOD RESTURANTS in the neighbourhood. I will not hesitate to return.