Hiking in Ecuador: Water and Clothing Advice Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2016, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We are preparing for a trip to Ecuador. We will be doing a few day hikes as part of our trip. We usually travel with our camel backs for best results when hiking. I have read some crazy posts about not drinking the water or eating food from street vendors and staying away from fruit. I had planned on eating a lot of the fruit. Please advise me here. Should we leave the camel backs at home and just carry bottles of water? Should we buy gallon jugs and fill the camel backs? Is the street food safe to eat? The fruit?

I would also like to ask about packing advice. It looks cooler in both Banos and Cuenca than anticipated but quite warm in the Galapagos. Any good packing lists to cover both climates?

Finally I want to ask about money and valuables. Any suggestions for carrying these while traveling. I know small bills will be very important but how do we carry enough for all of us in a safe manner. Huge under the shirt wallets filled with ones and fives seems ridiculous as do money belts overflowing with the same amount of cash. Any suggestions?
Thank you.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 07:10 AM

You don't have to carry lots of money in Ecuador. They have ATMs there. They can make change. You may get coins back which are minted there, so be sure to use them up or trade them back in for the USD ones at the airport.

In the Galapagos I wore lightweight long sleeved and long pants with the zip off shorts, mostly for sun protection while outside. I had something tshirts and shorts for lounging.

Bring a fleece/jeans for Cuenca town, it's more spring like than wintery. But if you are going up to Cajas NP, or some of the other national parks up high, you will want to carry a warm jacket. I don't recall Banos being very cold. You can also buy extra jackets, hats, etc in Ecuador if it's too cold and they make nice souvenirs.

If you are eating in a restaurant they probably wash the produce first. If you can peel fruit it's okay. I think most would recommend washing/rinsing other fruit. Anything that's grown in the ground, especially.

In many parts of the Andes, the water quality is good since it's filtered through volcanic soils. It still might cause you problems at first, I think due to higher level of minerals. So many people just prefer to use bottled water for drinking. A lot of hotels have the big containers, use a refillable container whether camelback or waterbottle to reduce the amount of trash you generate. In the Galapagos it was pretty hot and humid, there is a shortage of water so it's less readily available, so I learned to carry some around with me.

There is street crime in Guayaquil and Quito and I would recommend not carrying too much around if you will be touring there. Leave anything you don't need in your hotel safe. In a city I won't even bother carrying a water bottle unless I will be hiking. The rest of the time you should be okay, eg Cuenca, Banos, Otavalo, Galapapgos, with a backpack.
Old Jun 16th, 2016, 08:23 PM

Cash - bring an ATM card and draw cash as you need it. Don't carry large sums of cash around anywhere in Ecuador, especially in Quito. Watch your belongings on public transport, bus stations etc.

Water - bottled water is cheap and available everywhere. We buy a couple of 750ml Gatorade bottles on arrival ( really tough) and refill from 2 litre bottles. Personally, I avoided tap water during our time there but, as mlgb says, that was probably overkill.

Food - for me part of the joy of visiting Ecuador (or anywhere in South America) is the street and market food. The fruit is simply amazing and I make a point of visiting a market each day for a freshly prepared fruit juice - so many variations, but Tomate de Arbol (tree tomato) has to be my all time favourite!

Clothing - we left Cuenca few weeks ago. It was pretty wet, so go prepared. Quite pleasant temps. Cajas NP is much higher altitude and the weather can change in an instant. Take waterproofs, fleeces, merino so etc. You may not need them but best to be prepared. Banos again, can be wet but also hot if you venture down toward the jungle.

We are currently in SA doing a lot of hiking. Here is a link to my packing list:
https://accidentalnomads.com/2016/05...ck-like-a-man/

My wife's list is similar but with fewer electrical bits and more bottles of stuff!
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I have been seeing cold weather reports in Banos this summer. Is this unusual or incorrect? Temps seem to be right around freezing with sleet an a lot of rain. I had expected the hotter temps.
Old Jul 8th, 2016, 09:54 AM

Weather is quite unpredictable in Ecuador, now a little bit more than it used to be 1 or 2 decades ago. Sometimes you can experience many weather conditions in one single day, rains, sky blues, wind and even fog. Baños is not cold as Cuenca, Quito, Riobamba or Ambato, firstable because its altitude is lower than those cities and secondable because its weather is ifluence by the Andes and Amazon. The temperture get cooler when it´s raining but nothing to be worried about. You can wear something warm but light and you can take with you a water-proof jacket, again a light one. Nights there are a little cold, but trust me visitors said it´s nothing. Most of the tourist wear light cloths even at night. A cold weather report means there was or there will be some rains and yes, this is usual. Temperatures are only about freezing in the mountains over 3500 metres above sea level.

Summarizing, cities in the Andes are a little bit cold during the day only if it´s cloudy. Night are cold but nothing extreme. Cities and town located in the foothills of the Andes have a nicer weather and the average temperture mosf of the time is 25 C.
Old Jul 12th, 2016, 05:29 AM

mlgb agree with all you said.
May be obvious- but a buff and light weight hat for the sun were priceless. Long sleeve light weight sun shirts.

For food- 2 of the 4 of us had travelers stomach bug- 1 lasted for a month upon return. 1 of the 4 of our group was worse off becoming very ill. So as always- just be cautious when you can about water and eating at clean establishments and be prepared with remedies.
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 12:02 PM

Sorry one of your party got such a bad case of the tourist tummy. I carry cipro and use it if I'm not better in 48 hours with more conservative measures. So far I have not had to pursue it beyond that, fingers crossed.

Another trick that I've read about, and use with some success, is to take Pepto Bismol tablets as a preventative.
It's mentioned here:

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disor...u-need-to-know
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 10:24 AM

We split a month between Ecuador (mostly Galápagos) and Perú including an Inca trail trek in April/May. We had a blast! We were happy to have great hiking boots, trekking poles (which we could have rented but brought our own), and our Osprey day packs with hydration bladders. We didn't use the bladders in Galápagos but they were awesome when we were trekking and the day packs came in handy in Galápagos, although sometimes we just shared 1. We brought our own water bottles to refill - we really hate buying water in small bottles because of the garbage it creates, such a problem everywhere. Most lodging options provide purified drinking water these days and we buy gallons or 5 gallons when they don't, depending on the length of our stay. We also travel with a steripen which is great and really small/light. We often have a kitchen by choice and water that will be boiled can be from the tap. We brush our teeth with purified water, too, everywhere we go in Latin America.

My generic packing list for multiple climes is #14 in this FAQ list:
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...ica-branch-faq

My photos are here in case you're interested:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

And here's my 'health' list for Latin America. Seems long but has served us well, usually 2-3 trips to Central America/year - this spring was our 1st S. America visit. Happy trails!

:: I tend to follow the advice of the CDC for the country/ies I’m visiting:
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm

:: I recommend you at least be sure you're up to date on routine vaccines like diphtheria/tetanus and measles/mumps/rubella; many adults in the US aren't and some of those illnesses are horrible and still prevalent in developing countries. In my opinion everyone should have Hep A, too.

:: Keep the bugs from biting by wearing long sleeves/pants during buggy times (usually dusk and dawn), using effective, safe repellent (I like Ultrathon and Sawyer's Controlled Release deet products). You can also buy clothes preloaded with permethrin or buy the sprays and do it yourself; even a bandana is handy this way. I've read that any sort of oil will keep sand flies at bay but we haven't had much problem with them in our travels (pray for a steady breeze!) so can't speak about that personally.

:: I only drink bottled water, never tap (unless I purify it or boil it), even on my toothbrush (good idea to practice this in advance). I refill my own waterbottle and carry a steripen in case purified water isn’t readily available. If we’re staying for a chunk of a week or more in 1 spot we buy a big water container - trying to avoid water bottle garbage as much as possible.

:: I wash my hands every chance I get and carry hand sanitizer with me.

:: I avoid fruit I haven't peeled myself unless I trust the preparer (no bags of yummy-looking cut up mangos from street vendors, but usually I've felt ok in homestays)

:: I soak fruit and vegetables I'm preparing myself in microdyne (even if I plan to peel them)

:: I avoid lettuce (usually)

:: I only eat street food if it's selling quickly and really hot; most careful folks would say avoid it

:: I take shelf stable probiotics on the road; the one I prefer is here:
http://www.iherb.com/Jarrow-Formulas...-Caps/124?at=0

:: I take a papain and bromelain digestive enzyme capsule just before or after high protein meals to speed digestion; I don't have a preferred brand but here's a link to some information:
http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/bene...pain-6891.html

:: When I have a touch of diarrhea, I take 2 or 3 cayenne capsules and repeat every few hours - usually kicks it

:: I carry imodium or the like but rarely need it; it shouldn't be used if you're REALLY sick as it keeps the bad bugs in your system longer (can be really dangerous)

:: I get a prescription filled for the antibiotic Ciproflaxin to carry along in case one of us gets REALLY sick (powerful stuff not to be taken lightly) ; it's usually available without a prescription in Central America if you’d rather not mess with it ahead.