Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Hidden Gems...Special Little Restaurants? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/hidden-gems-special-little-restaurants-814606/)

condu Nov 16th, 2009 02:07 PM

Hidden Gems...Special Little Restaurants?

Eight weeks before my husband & I arrive in BA. I have read the guide books from the bookstore & searched through endless blogs & forums for well known & best loved restaurants. If, reading about food could get one fat, I would be in serious trouble!

Now, I would like to find the little hidden gems where Portenos & expats enjoy special culinary treasures. I know Scarlett recommends Rodi Bar as one of her little gems.

Thank you from wet & windy Vancouver Island.

Scarlett Nov 16th, 2009 03:33 PM

Oh dear, Rodi Bar is so not a hidden gem. It is just a real favorite of the locals... a neighborhood place we like to go to...

If I tell you a real hidden gem, it won't be hidden and we will never be able to get a table :)

Let me think ... this is not hidden but I still think it is a gem... Go to the Eva Peron Museum in Palermo. Go through the museum, it is lovely and it doesn't matter how you feel about Evita.. the music is wonderful and it is in an old mansion. Then have lunch in the cafe .. out in the garden or inside. It is just wonderful.

The good thing about being here ( one of many) ... you can eat all you want because you will walk it off. ((F))

condu Nov 16th, 2009 04:34 PM

Scarlett, that is exactly what I want to find! Local favorites like the Rodi bar...but, not in all the guide books.

The garden cafe at the Eva Peron Museum is already on my list.

Scarlett Nov 17th, 2009 04:51 AM

On Sante Fe in Palermo Botanico, is Hermanns .. a great locals place also .

condu Nov 17th, 2009 07:28 AM

Scarlett:
I looked your suggestion up on the net... "a good place to get traditional english style fish and chips called Hermans oposite the botanical cat park." My husband will like this place as he enjoys fish & chips. Or as we say (inside joke) finch & chimps.

yestravel Nov 17th, 2009 09:56 AM

Since we found all these places I doubt they are hidden gems. One place we discovered on our first trip to BA and really liked is Social Paraiso in Palmero--very small and good idea to have reservations. Second Scarlett's rec on Rodi Bar. We stumbled on Rodi Bar on our first trip and loved it.
La Cupertina has great empandanas and good lunches.
Just walk around, the food is consistently good everywhere I think. enjoy BA~

Scarlett Nov 17th, 2009 10:15 AM

That is funny, condu... Hermanns is a German restaurant .. or known for it's sausages etc ..
I don't eat red meat but I love their grilled fish and pastas and the soups. The waiters are old school charming and never write anything down!

Use this website to look up restaurants that you read/hear about. It is a great guide plus a lot of the places have their own websites so you can read the menus and see photos of the place.
http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=183

condu Nov 17th, 2009 12:47 PM

yestravel: Thank you for your restaurant suggestions.

Scarlett: The link is exactly what I require. MENUS & photos
of various restaurants.

I too, like to have fish, seafood, Gnocchi, risotto, lots of interesting salads, vegetable dishes, etc. I do occasionally,
eat red meat, preferably lamb. But, not often.

What do you think of "Bio" in Palermo?

condu Nov 17th, 2009 01:04 PM

Scarlett, your link has already netted a little gem...
"Santiago and Inés are gracious and welcoming hosts who definitely have a passion for both great wine and great food (our favourite combination). As you make your way to Casa Coupage, the unassuming door you walk up to in Palermo hides a gem."

My husband is an award winning amateur wine maker. One of the reasons that we are coming to Argentina is to taste the wonderful wine!

We will also, take cooking classes as we do everywhere we travel. I have taught cooking classes at colleges, locally.

not_enuf_vaca Nov 17th, 2009 02:34 PM

Hey "wet and windy Vancouver Island" - this is equally wet and windy Seattle. We will be going to BA about two weeks before you do - I will try to post some spots we enjoy. Although Im not exacly a expert or a food snob - but I do love to eat!

Im planning on taking my parents up your way in the summer - maybe I can get some hidden gems from you!?

condu Nov 17th, 2009 05:56 PM

Not_enuf_vaca

not_enuf_vaca:

I would be very interested in your food spots picks.

I do not consider myself a food snob or expert in any way.
But, I am a self-confessed foodie of the the first order.

Absolutely, contact me for the hidden gems on Vancouver Island. Maybe, Scarlett or one of the other experts could explain how to contact posters, directly.

Scarlett Nov 17th, 2009 06:00 PM

You can't contact people here on Fodors but TripAdvisor has Private Messaging if you are a member.

I am afraid I have never heard of Casa Coupage.

Your husband will no doubt enjoy this place, as you will too..
Terroir
www.terroir.com.ar

not_enuf_vaca Nov 17th, 2009 06:35 PM

condu - I have the same username on tripadvisor - go ahead and contact me there!

condu Nov 17th, 2009 06:40 PM

Thank you Scarlett for your info on Private Messaging.

i will investigate Terroir. BTW, may husband said that he is not an award winning amateur wine maker. The correct term in the wine industry is metal award winning wine make. I stand corrected.

condu Nov 17th, 2009 07:23 PM

not_enuf_vaca

My username on TA is the same: condu

If, you don't hear from me it is because I couldn't figure out how. Feel free to contact me.

lauren12 Nov 17th, 2009 07:24 PM

Condu -

Where are you taking cooking classes? I have searched for truly authentic classes that offer an English language option and have come up blank! Any help would be much appreciated.

condu Nov 17th, 2009 09:15 PM

lauren12

Here is the link for the cooking classes.
Look at TA for reviews.

http://www.try2cook.com/

avrooster Nov 18th, 2009 12:33 AM

You can read the reviews here: http://tinyurl.com/yabqlx7

However, the fact that 9 out of a total of 14 reviews have been written by one-time posters tells me that their high rating could be somewhat distorted.

saltshaker Nov 20th, 2009 02:00 PM

Teresita's cooking classes are amazingly good, one-time posters or not.

I'll second the recommendation for Casa Coupage, especially for those interested in wine - and quite a few of the "closed door restaurants" here specialize in "different" local cooking. Other special out of the way places - Florencio in Recoleta for lunch, Don Chicho in Villa Ortuzar for pasta, and Solopescados or Damblee for fish/shellfish are among our favorites.

condu Nov 21st, 2009 09:19 AM

saltshaker:

Thank you for your sharing some hidden "gems". Of course, we will take in some of the old favorites that are on all the blogs & in all the travel books.

But, I know from travel books that I have read on our area (Vancouver Island) that they don't always get it right & you may get glitz & glamor with no substance & many hidden "gems" are missed.

I hope to post some reviews on the hidden "gems" that we eat at during our stay in BA.