Search

Buying Pesos at Buenos Aires airport EZE

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2011, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying Pesos at Buenos Aires airport EZE

We arrive Saturday afternoon at EZE.
We would prefer to load up on pesos at the airport in order to avoid frequent trips to ATMs during our stay.

Will Banco de la Nacion be open on Saturday afternoon, and is there an upper limit on currency purchases in person at the bank, as there is at the ATM's? Will they give us some small bills, or will they all be $100 peso notes?

Will the bank accept Canadian currency for exchange?

Must the bills/bank notes be "new and crisp" or are normally circulated bills acceptable?

Sorry for all the little questions, but we want to get it right!

Thanks,

Kevin
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 09:35 AM

Kevin: In principle, barring a strike or something of the sort, the Banco de la la Nación is open 24/7.

No, I don´t think there is a limit on how much foreign currency you exchange and, if there is a limit, it's probably rather high, not like in the ATMs.

The small bills are a more complicated matter. A smile may go a long way, as it probably depends on the teller's mood on that particular day. The best way to get change I know of is to buy a small item, such as mineral water, in a supermarket and pay with 100 pesos.

Yes, the Banco de la Nación will take Canadian dollars and the rate of exchange will be reasonably good.

"Normally circulated" bills should be OK for the bank, but "new and crisp" bills may be better if you use foreign currency to pay in a shop.

Whatever you do, avoid the scoundrels at "Global Exchange", who have a conveniently located booth where you pick up your luggage. The rate of exchange, for both US and Canadian dollars should be somewhere around 4 pesos per dollar. Check out http://www.dolarhoy.com/indexx.php before you leave.

When you write your trip report, as I hope you will, please tell us what Global Exchange's rate was when you landed in EZE.

Have a great time in our country.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

avrooster:

Thank you kindly, sir, for the guidance. I plan to rely on Banco de la Nación and will certainly follow your advice and avoid "Global." I looked at the rates on dolarhoy, and also on the BNA site http://www.bna.com.ar/ which provides good information about "cotizador" and "cotización billettes" (not quite sure what that is!).

We fully expect to have a great time in your country, in no small way because of the great planning advice we've received from you and others on these boards. A couple of weeks back, I sent you a personal note of thanks for all your help, and your endless patience with naive information seekers like me! A trip report will surely follow (in late March).

We expect to do both the City Tour and the Aristocratic tours next week, and hope to meet your daughter on the afternoon tour, if she is there.

Kevin
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 03:59 PM

Hi, Kevin!

About your: "I sent you a personal note of thanks for all your help", how did you send this note?

I believe my daughter Cecilia will be back to leading the free afternoon tour next week.

Have a great time in our town.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi avrooster.
I sent you a note at the address you had posted here earlier: albertovgallo at yahoo dot com.

We will have a great time in your town!

Kevin
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 07:58 PM

I am not sure if it was an unusual circumstance, but when we arrived at EZE on a Monday morning at around 11 am, the Banco de la Nacion was not open. We purchased some pesos in the U.S. beforehand, so it was not a problem for us....though we had been planning on going to the bank at the airport as well.
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 12:50 AM

I'm sorry hikerboy, but I probably deleted it, not knowing who it was coming from.

Repeat the message, if so inclined. I'll be watching for it. I suggest saying the message is related to the Fodor's forum or "For AVRooster".
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 02:29 PM

Hola Hikerboy,

The limit, as of last week, was $US 500.00 per person at Banco de la Nation at EZE. One year when we arrived, the Bank just at the end of Customs was closed, but just outside the clearance area, it was open. As AV warns, always use Banco de la Nation in the airport.

And yes, take 'new and crispy' bills to avoid having them rejected by the bank - though wait until you see the condition of those Pesos they will hand over to you !

Have a safe trip.

~Marnie
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 02:31 PM

Oops - Banco de la NACION.

~M
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Okay, we yesterday afternoon and went to Banco de la Nacion at EZE and changed $CDN 600 at 3.80 pesos and $US500 at 4.005 pesos/dollar.

It was the same window that Marnie referred to. They ask to see your passport and boarding pass stub. We didn't encounter the $500 limit Marnie referred to, so I guess it's a function of supply at the tiem. We felt the US rate was good, but the Canadian rate was a bit less fair.

All in all, a good transaction. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
hikerboy - thanks for reporting back. Glad it worked out well 4 u. Enjoy your holiday.