Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Help. Need to confirm tickets by 7/2. Very rough itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/help-need-to-confirm-tickets-by-7-2-very-rough-itinerary-847240/)

blackmons Jun 29th, 2010 10:40 AM

Help. Need to confirm tickets by 7/2. Very rough itinerary

I’m using frequent flier miles to take our family on a trip to Peru, and I need to confirm these flights by 7/2. Unfortunately, it was the best I could do. What do you think? I may get something better when I call back, but just in case....

Mon. 5/16 Chicago to Toronto (6 hour layover) Toronto to Lima - arrive 12:15 a.m.
Overnight near airport in Lima? Any hotel suggestions?

Tues 5/17 Lima to Cusco - haven’t booked a flight yet. Waiting until I confirm these tickets. Overnight in Sacred Valley to get used to altitude in Cusco. Altitude sickness is an issue with us.

Wed 5/18 Sacred Valley and Cusco - Pick up trek tickets

Thurs 5/19 Cusco

Fri 5/20 Husband and sons - Inca trail
My daughter and I need to find something to fill next couple of days as we will already have spent plenty of time in Cusco and the Sacred Valley. Maybe a smaller trek of our own? Maybe weaving and farming tour through apus peru? Any other suggestions?

Sat 5/21 ???

Sun 5/22 Pisac Market, afternoon/early evening train to Machu Picchu. Overnight Inkaterra?

Mon. 5/23 Sunrise at Machu Picchu. Meet up with rest of family. Train back to Cusco

Tues 5/24 Cusco to Lima (haven’t booked flight yet.)
Lima to Houston 11:45 p.m. Should I be worried about doing this all in one day?

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me. I really don't want to screw this up.

Laurie

yestravel Jun 29th, 2010 11:01 AM

Will u and your daughter still be in Cusco on Sat 5/21? There are lots of tours u can take from there that are fascinating. We used David Choque who took us to several places for a day trip. One place we stayed a couple days was Ollantaytambo--its a charming village. U say u will have had plenty of time in SV, but I'm confused on how many acutal days there. It looks like just 3 which really isnt a lot given all there is to see in that region. We spent about a week there including only 1 day at MP.

I think its risky to leave your return to Lima the same day as your departure back home. I know lots of people do it and are just fine. On the day we flew back to Lima all flights that am had been cancelled due to fog in Lima. (This was April). If Lima is fogged in they cant get the planes into Cusco. They started flying in the pm and I don't know if evryone from all the canx flights made it to Lima or not. We did, but we had an early pm flight back and it was just delayed a couple hours. Have a great trip -- Peru is wonderful.

Elizabeth_S Jun 29th, 2010 02:08 PM

Try to get an early morning flight to Cusco as the weather can close in later in the morning and affect flights.

You are much better to leave Cusco immediately upon arrival and stay somewhere in the Sacred Valley as Cusco is higher - we transferred to Ollantaytambo (loved it) via our guide/driver David Choque (who we highly recommend). Then you can stay in Cusco after MP once you have acclimated. (do your son and husband have to start the trek in Cusco or can they pick it up at KM 104?)

So I think you 7 nights (ex Lima airport night, right?) - our itinerary looked something like this:

Nights 1,2 & 3 - Ollantaytambo (Hotel Sauce - really liked it). Days trips to Moray and Saltmines; Pisac and Chinchero and a day in Ollanta would work well. You and your daughter could have a spa day if that interests you, or there is white water rafting or bike rides or horseback riding in Urubamba

Night 4 - Machu Picchu (maybe two nights - we did that - stayed at Sanctuary Lodge)

Comment re taking the train from AC to Cusco - we took the train to Ollanta and then drove - it sounds odd but it actually cuts time off as the train has several long switchbacks coming into Cusco that lengthen the trip.

Nights 5 and 6 (possibly 7) - Cusco

Here's a link to our blog -

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l...lake_titicaca/

As mentioned we highly recommend David Choque - he booked many of our hotels and train tickets, etc at rates lower than I was able to find - and he picks up all the tickets/etc. He has a very comfortable van which would be perfect for transporting 4 people.

Have a great trip!

Elizabeth_S Jun 29th, 2010 02:13 PM

Oops - here's David's website

http://www.cuscotoptravelperu.com/index.html

mlgb Jun 29th, 2010 03:13 PM

If they are frequent flyer, is there anyway to get it all the way to Cusco? (Since you're going to Toronto I'm guessing not, that you are stuck with United who doesn't have a good network in SA).

Anyway May is low season in Lima, hence the availability. But it's still a good time to go to Cusco. I would actually spend more time acclimatizing at the front of the trip for the boys if possible one more night.

Yes, go to Cusco the morning following arrival. If you want to spend $200 or so for a little sleep at Ramada Inn, fine, if not the earliest flight at 5:45 am or so. BTW you will not want to be flying LAN on the domestic leg unless you are made of money. Look into TACA, or Star Peru. You really don't need to book these flights so far ahead, but you certainly can.

I wouldn't try to do the return all on the same day. Bad bad idea. Overnight in Lima. There is lots to do. I might even suggest a two night stay.