Search

Help! Need advice for Peru-->Bolivia-->Chile

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Need advice for Peru-->Bolivia-->Chile

Dear all,

I am doing a Volunteer placement for 2 months in Lima Peru and will like to Travel to Bolivia and Chile after so i need some advice please:-

1. What is the best way to get from Peru ---> Bolivia

2. What is the best way to get from Bolivia-->Chile

3. How many days should I stay in Bolivia and Chile?

4. Is it safe for a girl to be travelling alone like this?

5. Any useful links for hostels for both places (or even recommend a hostel for me that will be great)

Any additional advice or info will be kindly appreciated as well as I have never been to South America before...let alone travelling by myself as well...! I will be in Peru from March-April 2011 and in Bolivia and Chile on May 2011
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 12:26 AM

Good websites for hostels are:

www.hostelworld.com
www.hihostels.com
www.hostelbookers.com

We used all of them during our 5 months in South America and found them to be very efficient with good prices. If you are planning on a long trip then consider joining one of the hostelling organisations as membership provides discounts on room rates.

Another organisation worth considering is www.saexplorers.org , a non profit organisation that provides impartial info from other travellers on tours, hostels, restaurants etc. membership (I think)is around $40 and again gets you genuine discounts on accomodation, food and tours. A real benefit is that they also have a number of clubhouses (Lima, Cusco etc.) where you can meet other travellers and get up to date information.

Our blog conatins deatils of the places we stayed (good and bad!)
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...ai/1/tpod.html

Entries #55 on cover south america

"What is the best way..." What are you seeking? The quickest, cheapest, most scenic.. Air travel is generally expensive but safe. Bus travel is cheap and also pretty safe although you do need to take care on less touristed routes and areas.

We did'nt make it to Bolivia as there were a few riots going at the time we were there so we moved straight on to Chile from Peru. However, our original plan was to go from Cusco to Puno and then cross Lake Titicaca into Bolivia. We made it as far as Titicaca which was really amazing and if we returned this is definitely the way I would go.

Is it safe for a girl to travel on her own? A difficult one. If you are an experienced traveller and do do research before hand then I would say yes but do take all the usual precautions. Check with your own government's travel advisory website once you have sorted out your itinerary (although some do tend to be overly alarmist). SAExplorers does provide a good source of up to date info on places (plus the opportunity to team up with a travel buddy if that is what you would want to do.

Take particular care at airports, bus stations ATM machines as these are alway prime locations for thieves

Check with your volunteer organisation to see whether they offer any predeparture or in country training. We spent time in Sierra Leone with Vouluntary Services Overseas and their training was excellent and very thorough covering everything from personal security to health.

Finally, get good travel inurance covering medical cost, re-patriation, missed flights etc.

or
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 01:19 AM

Great advice above...

www.travel.state.gov review crime entry safety info

be sure you are up for all that newbie solo females

might enjoy safer travel to europe first unless adventurous.

Can get pretty dodgy in places.

www.insuremytrip.com always wise

Deluxe bus like Ormeno and Cruz Del Sur best

www.lokihostels.com good in Peru/Bolivia

www.hostelbookers.com will have other top options

Happy Journey,
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 08:08 AM

I haven't been to Bolivia but everyone I spoke to loved it. Chile is pretty safe. Trust your instincts & use good common sense. If taking busses take the most upscale you can find. Always a good idea to arrange a pickup at the airport through your first night lodgings. Airports and bus stations are prime pickpocket locations. Use ATMs inside banks, do not change money on the street, be sure to hide money on several spots on your person. Don't flash electronics like IPOds.

Also, would be wise to learn some Spanish and bring a phrase book.
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 08:09 AM

PS if you are blonde you might consider dying your hair..seriously. Blondes stand out!
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 08:10 AM

I just reread that you will also be in Lima...that will be good training for traveling anywhere else!