Help for first trip to Buenos Aires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are beginning of planning 10 day trip with few other couples; one couple will want to stay very high end--we cannot. We all like local experiences--walking, touring, music, dancing, history (we are all in 50s--and some have a little rusty Spanish). Can you recommend neighborhoods/hotels where both high-end and moderate hotel prices (moderate meaning $200 or under a night) might work? What about in Mendoza? Is that worth a several night stay (can you recommend hotels that are not "spas"?). Otherwise, please suggest must-see/must-do? Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:42 AM

buck1116 - see threads from avrooster or drdawggy for all things BA.

You will find that, due to inflation, U.S. cash will get you at least a 10% discount.

I stayed at Casa Glebinias in the Mendoza area for 3 nights. Stunning place. It's like you're in a private park.
http://www.casaglebinias.com/

Wineries are not closely bunched, and reservations are mandatory at most of them. As long as it's the same day, that's ok. Rent a car is necessary unles you have tours.

The owner speaks excellent English, will help you with reservations, and point out special spots in the area. Well worth it. I will stay here when I return.

Favorite winery was Catena Zapata.
Old Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM

AVRooster above drdawggy! What has the world come to???
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 07:45 AM

Buenos Aires has tons of hotels, big ones, to smaller boutiques which can range from $100/night to $400 a night! A lot of these $100-150/night hotels are still VERY VERY nice and will make for an enjoyable stay. Personally, I'm partial to Palermo Soho, but Recoleta is very nice as well. (I think of Palermo like the Village in NY and Recoleta as the Upper East Side). For the hotels you're best off contacting the hotels directly or booking through a discount site like Bungolow.com or Jetsetter.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 12:53 PM

Another site to use for booking a hotel is www.booking.com., www.agoda.com, or www.TripAdvisor.com. I'm partial to the first one based on what I wrote. You can reserve months in advance and cancel if necessary for many of the properties @ particular times of the year. It also depends on what type of accommodation you're seeking!

You're going @ a good time weather wise; it's spring time. In BsAs it's not hot but quite pleasant, but in October of 2011, my friend and I received more rain than usual in Buenos Aires.

In terms of barrios--I've stayed in Recoleta for its ambience and location on three of my trips. Last October we stayed in a penthouse on the 27th floor in Palermo and loved it.
Old Apr 5th, 2012, 01:49 PM

What about an apartment? For 3 or 4 couples you could get a quite spectacular place for $800/night or so?