Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Have 4-5 weeks off to travel all of a sudden, trouble narrowing down where to go

Search

Have 4-5 weeks off to travel all of a sudden, trouble narrowing down where to go

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2022, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I’m (24M) planning a solo trip as a gift to myself for starting my new job. I have 4-5 weeks before I start my new job to travel. Tentative dates would be July 5th to August 2nd. But I don’t start until August 8th so I’m a bit flexible.

This would be my second time solo travelling and I’ve only ever so far soloed Italy and France. I’m looking to get some recommendations on some places I should go to.

Here are some details:

- budget: I mainly do hostels but do like eating out. I have a very healthy amount budgeted but I doubt I will get close to spending even half of it, even if I did hotels and dined out at nice restaurants.

- I’ve been to a decent amount of Europe (Paris, London, many cities in Italy, Prague, Vienna, Kyiv), US, Canada, and Israel

- travel dates: Whole month of July 2022

- I love being surrounded by interesting architecture, I love wandering at night, I also am looking for the occasional club scene. A place where it’s good to be your early mid 20s

- I enjoy exploring like going on cool hikes

- Don’t mind museums but am not a fan of art museums (at least older stuff like renaissance)

- I have American citizenship

So far I’ve been considering a few options:

- Japan or South Korea (looks like Japan is now open for tourists, although only on guided tours. SK is fully open).

- Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia (only downside I see is that it’s the rainy season and will be humid)

- South America (Argentina/Peru/Brazil)

- AUS/NZ

- Big Europe trip (Paragliding Switzerland, partying in Berlin and Budapest, Chilling in Amsterdam, maybe even checking out the Baltics and maybe Spain and more of France or even the UK)

There’s so much of Europe to see that I wouldn’t mind doing it again. At the same time doing non-Europe would open up a new continent I have never been to. In an ideal world I would probably want to visit Japan solo, but it’s closed off for only guided tours. I felt very inspired by the movie “Lost in Translation”

Peru seems cool because I’ve always wanted to visit Machu Pichu

Are some locations better to visit while young? I assume some are better/worse in July time frame too

ill be posting this in numerous forums since there’s no general world forum.
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru seems like a good choice since you have a lot of things you can do. and there is so much more to this country than Machu Picchu – although it is pretty spectacular! With all the delicious cuisine, local culture, and beautiful natural landscapes.