Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Guides - What is the best use of their time and effort? (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/guides-what-is-the-best-use-of-their-time-and-effort-894578/)

Christie_128 Jun 11th, 2011 09:35 PM

Guides - What is the best use of their time and effort?

Dear All,

I have contacted David Choque for my upcoming trip to Peru. He seems very attentive and helpful and I am wondering whether I should have him book my hotels or whether this is something I should do myself? I can't get a sense of how much it will cost for him to do this work. I really want a guide in Cusco and SV and I have some hotels I would like to book which are recommendations from people from this forum.

Suggestions? I am asking him as well but I am wondering what is the best way to use his services and is it much more $$$ to go through a middle man for the hotels?

Let me know.

Thank you,
Christie

Jackie Jun 12th, 2011 05:06 AM

I booked rooms myself at 4 different places thru the internet. Hotels were very responsive. It was easy to do and there were no language problems. One hotel required passport numbers; 3 required small deposits paid thru pay pal or credit card.

Since you already know where you want to stay, I don't know why you would need a guide to make hotel arrangements. Now, train tickets...That would be worth paying someone to do.

Elizabeth_S Jun 12th, 2011 07:10 AM

David booked our hotels and got rates better than I could on line. I think he now charges a 15% commission - check that with him. We were delighted with his services and guiding - he's a lovely person.

qwovadis Jun 12th, 2011 11:16 AM

Sort of depends on the hotels

Might do a little comparison shopping

On your most expensive

Directrooms.com

Peru-explorer.com

Casa-andina.com. My favs just about everywhere

Www.libertador.com.pe. And inkaterra.com super upscale

Get your best price and find out Davids

In most cases locals can get better discounts direct

And payments less of a hassle.

David gets excelent reviews on all the boards have never seen a bad one.

Christie_128 Jun 12th, 2011 12:32 PM

Thank you so much for your information. David does sound very reliable and kind. I am looking forward to this trip!

Thanks again,
Christie

Eddwarm Jun 14th, 2011 12:15 PM

Christie- enjoy yourself! I spent a mere week in Peru and liked this experience very much. The major difference between what you're doing and what I/we did was that I was with 12 other folks which worked out quite well because we bonded and experienced together.

Although I liked this particular aspect of the tour, I would like to return to Lima and Cuzco and Machu Picchu and travel independently with a guide. You are doing it a better way. I like having my own personal guide where it is just the two of us or perhaps three (provided my good friend is traveling with me)!!