Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   South America (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/)
-   -   Guide for the Inca trail (https://www.fodors.com/community/south-america/guide-for-the-inca-trail-824464/)

CCF Feb 1st, 2010 09:07 AM

Guide for the Inca trail

We are searching for a guide to MP.I've read about David Choque.Is he an independent tour guide?Does anyone have his contact info?
Also have heard good reports about Adventure Holidays Peru now Adios Adventure Travel. Any pros/cons on either.
Hoping to go in April,and have to book quickly.
Thanks .
CCF

qwovadis Feb 1st, 2010 01:20 PM

David and Percy are the 2 best guides might use 1 of them.

http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...vid-choque.cfm

Inca Trail only in groups with permit

www.andeantravelweb.com

good info there...

emd3 Feb 2nd, 2010 01:49 PM

David does not hike the Inca Trail or go to Machu Picchu. He will guide you in other places, but turn you over to another guide for Inca Trail and MP. He refers his clients who want to go on the Inca Trail to Llamapath, unless you prefer to use another company. David will set up the Inca Trail reservation w/Llamapath for you, but it is a Llamapath licensed guide that goes on the hike w/you.

We were supposed to go on a Llamapath Inca Trail hike with just my son, me, and one guide (not in a group). But my son got sick and was hospitalized the day before out hike and we had to cancel. However, our guide, Santiago was wonderful when he came to meet us at our hotel two nights before the hike, to go over what to expect, etc. Very professional.

If you want to go to Aquas Calientes and up to MAchu Picchu w/a guide, David will take you to Ollantaytambo and get you on the train to MP (assuming the train is running in April) and arrange a guide to meet you in Aquas Calientes or up at MP.

You have to book in advance for a permit to hike the Inca Trail- I guess you know that. Have you checked the site that shows how many permits are left for your days in April?

emd3 Feb 2nd, 2010 01:51 PM

I forgot to add that David was our guide for al of our trip in the Sacred valley except for the days we were supposed to go on the Inca Trail to MP (but of course we didn't do that). So I have first hand experience w/ how David operates re MP and the Inca Trail.

CCF Feb 2nd, 2010 03:02 PM

Thanks for the info.
Found David's contact info and he has not replied.Also contacted Vidal from
Adventure Holidays Peru and Adios Adventure Travel who has responded.
I researched them both here and other sites,and may go with Vidal since time is running short.
This is a great site.I've used it over the years and really appreciate the help.
Thanks again.
CCF

eenusa Feb 3rd, 2010 07:21 AM

I don't think you'll go wrong with Vidal. We used him last year in April (if you've searched his name here, you will have already come across my glowing recommendation). Granted, we didn't do the Inca Trail, but there have been others who have posted positively of that aspect of their experience with him.

cpan Feb 3rd, 2010 08:31 AM

If you're interested in a group tour, there's always Trek Peru. We went in May last year and because of the economy, instead of a group of 12, we were in a group of 6. We hiked the Inca Trail with Francis Casapino and 12 porters carried our stuff, cooked for us and set up camp. Francis is the best. He has been leading Inca Trail hikes for 13 year or so and has a personal interest in archaeology and architecture which made the hike really informational. I can really appreciate the history behind the construction of the trail and ruins. He also understands American humor so we were laughing during the whole hike. He'll take care of you. About reaching him, I think you could probably reach him through trekperu. He has a travel site also through which you might be able to reach him. reachableworld.mtw.travel. If you still can't reach him, send me a message and I can email him for you. You can google him for more information about him.

I read another post that the rail lines are washed out from the rain so it might be good to check with perurail to find out when they are going to be operational again.

Have a great trip!

carolyn
www.thepanthatcan.com

mlgb Feb 3rd, 2010 09:18 AM

I'm sure the guide that you select will inform you on options for reaching Machu Picchu. It will depend on how quickly the reconstruction of access is able to be accomplished.

happyhusky Feb 7th, 2010 01:59 PM

We're planning a trip to Peru and plan on using Karikuy, www.karikuy.org, for our next trip.
They seem to handle socially conscious tourism in a very responsible way. Just my two cents!