Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Great trip to Argentina - with the BEST travel agent ever!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went to Argentina as a family group of four, and have just returned from a great trip (April 2010). We spent a couple of days at Iguazu Falls, a few days in Salta and a couple of days at El Calafate, all sandwiched between a few days at the start and end in Buenos Aires (Recoleta at the start and Palermo at the end). Amazing experience, all in all.

This was all organised for us by Isabel at Bueno Aires Tours ([email protected], website www.buenosaires-tours.com.ar). She charges a flat fee for her service, which includes providing lots of suggestions and advice, to help you choose an itinerary that suits you best, in terms of likes and dislikes, budget, length of trip, etc. She was always very quick to respond – as far as I could work out, she seems to work at all hours, seven days a week!! After we decided on an itinerary, she made sure it hung together and then booked everything for us, or put us in contact with trusted local guides. The accommodation she booked for us (some of which you won’t find on hotel booking websites) was all in good convenient locations.

Every single cent of the flat fee we paid her was worth it … and that’s even before we had the disruption caused by the volcano … at that point, she went into overdrive to make sure we were OK, making phonecalls on our behalf (given our lack of Spanish), finding us new accommodation at the last minute, etc. I cannot speak highly enough of Isabel – we had a superb trip to Argentina, and Isabel played a big part in making the trip a big success.
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:14 AM

Everybody tells wonderful things about Isabel! She is indeed very reliable and her customers are sompletelly satisfied. "She is our mamma in Argentina" They say, because She takes care of every single detail!
Good for you, Isabel. You deserve it!
Flintstones
Old May 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM

I'm glad you had a great trip. I did too, in Jan and Feb, and also had Isable looking after me.
I agree, she is the very best!! I don't know when she sleeps, she was always available to answer questions. NO matter when I emailed her, I got a response right away.
I've never met a travel agent who works harder, or who cares more about her clients that Isabel. My trip could never have worked without her.. And I'm glad you trip worked out well too.
Old May 25th, 2010, 03:25 PM

this is not a trip report
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Mo

Londoner42, what hotels did you stay in? Would
love to hear what you did ---tours. Is it rude to ask how much your one time fee for Isabel was?
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 05:23 PM

We also used Isabel for our trip this past May and she was just as wonderful as described above. Her fee was $250 US for two people. Click on my name to see our trip report----and get in touch with Isavel, she is fabulous (as is Argentina!!!!)
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 04:17 AM

I want to chime in because I never had a chance to write a trip report after we visited Argentina last December (09.) We also used Isabel's services and I can not say enough wonderful things about her! She was right about everything!! She called us at every hotel to check in with us. We would continue to communicate via email (thanks to free wifi and an iPhone.) We definitely thought her fee was worth every penny!! I dont know if anyone mentioned this but she came to our hotel in BA to meet us the first day to go over everything.
Perhaps I'll write that trip report after all...
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 04:18 AM

PLEASE DO write that trip report, MiamiBeachMomma!
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Mo: "<i>Londoner42, what hotels did you stay in? Would love to hear what you did ---tours. Is it rude to ask how much your one time fee for Isabel was?</i>"

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting - the OP registered just to post his/her 'report' and the link, and has not posted anything else. Glad to hear from others that Isabel is a good agent. But unfortunately it looks very much like Londoner42's post was a planted ad.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 03:23 AM

janisj: If you research "Isabel" on this forum and on trip advisor's, you will realize she doesn't need a "planted ad".

Her customers' satisfaction speaks for itself.

Furthermore, it should be obvious that NOT ALL one-time posters are fake.

However, I DO hope Londoner42 answers satisfactorily any questions that come up on this thread.

Have a great time in our country.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 08:32 AM

Oh - true. Isabel didn't do anything wrong. But like on all the forums, we get these one-time 'hit and run' threads where someone registers on several travel websites and posts the same blurb and is not heard from again.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

janisj: some comments in defence from a one-time "hit and run" threader. I am deeply offended on my own behalf and on behalf of Isabel, at your wild unfounded accusations and downright rudeness. I did sign up specially to post my comment about Isabel, and have not posted anything else since, behaviour that is very easily explained as follows:

- I am not a regular on forums generally (I use them often for research, but don't usually post comments). This may sound suspicious to forum regulars/addicts, especially cynics like janisj, but I am sure people like me are actually in the majority. (By the way, I had to ask my partner what "OP" means...)
- my last holiday was the one to Argentina in April 2010, and I have not had a holiday since, so I have had nothing to post about, nor have I been researching the next holiday yet - is that so surprising?!
- no-one (and I mean no-one) else has posted anything even vaguely negative about Isabel (indeed, everyone enthuses about her), so why do you accuse her of planting ads. I just don't understand, what is the point of your rude comments?!
- I was SO impressed with Isabel and her service well beyond the call of duty, that I felt the only way I could repay her was by posting my genuine comments on a couple of important websites (here and TripAdvisor, in particular). If you look on TripAdvisor (same username), you will also see a comment from me about the Hampton Inn in Washington DC.

ANYWAY, I am very happy to answer the questions posed by Mo. Isabel charged US$300 for our party of FOUR people. We stayed at the Trianon Residence in Recoleta in Buenos Aires (loved it, very spacious, great value, great location). We also stayed at the boutique Hotel Synergie in Palermo, the Sheraton at Iguazu, the El Lagar in Salta and Kosten Aike in Calafate. None disappointed, but the Trianon was the best find.

Tours:
Buenos Aires, we did independently (easy to do);
Iguazu, we also did independently (again, easy, especially if you stay at Sheraton which is the only hotel inside the park, and we found a very good taxi driver/guide to take us to the Brazilian side - Mario Cuna, cellphone 03757 15436332. Or you could organise it through the hotel.);
Salta: organised two full-day tours directly with a guide that Isabel introduced us to. One to the Cafayate wine region, and one to Purmamarca & beyond. And we looked around Salta independently on our own, including the museum with very well-preserved child mummies found in the mountains.
Calafate: glacier tour and mini ice-trekking tour, organised through Isabel. Go for the VIP cabin on the boat - well worth it.

Finally, in case you are wondering why I am back to make these detailed comments ... yes, I was alerted to janisj's comments by Isabel. I will check again in a few days, in case anyone still doubts my bona fides!!
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 01:53 PM

Nothing I said was rude. Suspicious maybe, but not rude. Glad you re-surfaced. Often the Fodors editors delete posts such as your OP because they look like ads.

So now that you cleared that up, all is well.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 01:54 PM

Thank you, Londoner42, for your answers above.

Please keep in mind, in defence of janisj's post, that a great percentage of one-time posters turn out to be fake, which is why her first impression is quite understandable.

When should we expect you back in our wonderful country, Londoner42?

And how about you, janisj? Are you researching Argentina? Any questions?
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Well, maybe I am easily offended, but it's the effect on the other person that counts, not what your intention was. It came across as rude to me, anyway - and, yes, maybe I could have been a fake "one-time poster", but there are a number of other very positive comments (here and elsewhere) about Isabel, so I really don't think there was any need for your suspicions and accusations ("planted ad" is a serious thing to casually allege, and would be libellous, were it not for the anonymity and anarchy of the web). End of story, I will leave it at that - all's well, as you say.

avrooster - I would dearly love to come back to Argentina one day soon again, especially Buenos Aires. I just loved the feel of the city, the coffee and medialunas!, the food (even though I am vegetarian), etc. But the flights from Europe are very expensive. Maybe in a couple of years...
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Leaving aside who you make travel and tour arrangements with, I would highly recommend Argentina as a destination. My family and I were very impressed with all the places we visited (as mentioned in my previous posts above). And there are many other places that we wish we could have visited, but you can't do everything in about a dozen days - other places that I am sure would be great to visit include Peninsula Valdez (at the right time of year - about December, I think), Bariloche, Mendoza and maybe even Ushuaia.

I feel like a regular poster now!
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 06:13 PM

Londoner42, yes you are a regular poster now!!
I will say it once again. Isabel is wonderful, and does a fantastic job. She is without a doubt, the best travel agent I've ever met. And she certainly was a pleasure to meet. She needs no 'planted ads' .
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 06:46 PM

So the hall monitor is alive & well. As I see it, it's the editors' jobs to monitor spammers & if they feel it is spam they'll delete it after being alerted. It's their job, not ordinary posters on these forums.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 01:05 AM

Thank you, regular poster Londoner42!
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 01:11 AM

We visited BA and Mendoza last December and while we did not use Isabel, had a wonderful experience. Thinking of returning at end of December for 2 weeks into January. Will check w/Isabel for recommendations but anyone have thoughts on an itinerary which would include BA, Mendoza, Iguazu, and Patagonia? Thanks in advance.