grand circle tours or Smartours ?

Old Mar 31st, 2011, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grand circle tours or Smartours ?

Grand Circle vs Smartours ”
Mar 31, 2011, 8:41 am
Both offer the same areas, same travel arrangements by bus and air in South America. Big difference: GCT= 20 days, including extension to Iguassu Falls and Rio, but flying from my home town of L.A.

Cost=$4221, without discount.(if paid by Visa ) Cost with cash Discount=$3926 . Thus the Cost difference to Smartours ,with discount included is only $426 for all 20 days per person. However, these are 2011 prices, new prices yet to be released...probably going up !

Smartours is only 16 days,cost of $3500 p.p. including the Falls and Rio, but wife and I would have to fly from Miami, involving using UAL mileage or pay, plus the cost of a hotel for night before trip in Miami, hassles of taxi or shuttle back and forth to airport.

So, bottom line, GCT is a better deal. Four addit. days, no Miami overnight, cost of flight from LAX to Miami, etc.

BUT.... BUT..... THE UNKNOWN OF PRICE INCREASE FOR GCT. We have only a few days to decide on the Smartours trip, as deposit is due.

NOW MY QUESTION TO DECIDE: Has anyone taken either tour company to South America and how would you rate them ?
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 04:57 PM

My Southern American tour via Grand Circle Travel was next to the best trips of five which I've taken with them. 12 of us did Machu Picchu, Cusco, and Lima for 8 days before flying to Santiago, Chile and crossing that truly fabulous lake country onward to Buenos Aires.

Every time I reflect back, I want to relive this overall experience but with fewer individuals involved although that in itself was not a problemo with me.

I'd go with GCT; they have only offered superb service and an outstanding experience when i've traveled with this company to Costa Rica, Egypt, Thailand, South America (Peru, Chile, Argentina), and most recently to Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast which I super-loved.

RATING A
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 05:29 AM

GCT best of yours

check bbb.org for the many smartours

complaints filed refularly on the boards

latinamericaforless.com special expertise usually cheaper

gotmyfare.com also cheaper for budget if price is a factor

Shop around and insuremytrip.com
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 01:37 PM

I've travelled with both and have had no complaints about either. The big difference is that Smartours group is bigger than GCT's and there is a lot more pre booking hand holding and customer service with GCT than with Smartours whose attitude seems to be "Book with us if you want to, or don't. We really don't care because our trips will be filled regardless of whether you book with us."