Search

Reciprocity fee

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2014, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reciprocity fee

I have a strange question about this fee. I have an Argentine DNI (the old kind) from when I lived in Buenos Aires 17 years ago. However, I only have a US passport, not an Argentine one. Will I be able to get in without paying the $160?

My mother and father have gotten through it successfully with just their DNIs, but they weren't taking as much of a risk because they went there a few years ago, before you were required to pay the fee before arrival in BA. Now, I'm worried that I'll get there, present my DNI, and be told that it isn't enough...then get sent home.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 09:20 AM

I think only an Argentine consulate could answer this for you.

You will have to present a passport when you check in for your flight to Argentina. The check-in agent will see your US passport and look for evidence that you've paid the fee. Without that, will they even let you board the plane? I doubt it.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 09:25 AM

Well alisonspencer, there are several threads here on the subject of the reciprocity fee, but I cannot remember any about your exact situation.

You say you "lived in BA", but that doesn't mean you were BORN in Argentina.

I DO believe the airline is NOT supposed to sell you a ticket unless your documents will allow you to enter Argentina without paying the fee.

In other words, in theory, you will not be allowed to board the plane without paying the reciprocity fee, if it is so required.

So, I don't think there is much risk you'll be "sent home" when you reach BA.

My hunch is that you'll have to pay the fee.

Have a great time returning to our country.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. I've tried to reach the consulate without luck, as they just sent me a link to their webpage, which doesn't address this particular situation.

Since I moved there right after I was born, I don't have citizenship, so I think I'll just pay the fee and not risk it... although it's frustrating that the rest of my family has gotten through for free before! That was 2012, though.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 01:23 PM

If you're not a citizen, there's your answer. That's that.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 02:51 PM

I should add that none of us like these fees, just as Argentine citizens don't like having to pay $160 to apply for a U.S. visa.