Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

Galapagos cruises - National Geographic tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are starting to plan a Galapagos cruise tour for spring 2011, and are researching various cruises. We have friends that are booked on a National Geographic tour this fall, and other friends that have chosen to use a larger cruiseship (one of the 100 passenger ones) tour next year. We know that we want a smaller boat (somewhere in the 16 - 40 passenger range), that we want a 7-8 day cruise, and are leaning toward the "deluxe" ships (hey, you only do this once, right?). My question is, for people that have gone with National Geographic, what is it about their ships or cruises that justifies a price tag that is double that of the "deluxe" ships that I've seen? (and for that matter, what kind of difference is there between the "first class" and the "deluxe" category ships?) If it really makes a difference in the experience I'm willing to consider it, but what we really want is a comfortable bed, good food, small groups, and a really great naturalist guide. Thoughts?
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 04:42 AM

www.cruisecritic.com

has reviews on all the cruise line ships

Celebrity Expedition is great for upscale

www.enchantedexpeditions.com best small ships good local

www.gotmyfare.com great value on the Legend good boat

dissed here recently packages with air for $2k great deal.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 04:44 AM

www.saexplorers.org good for reviews discounts on the cruises
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 05:00 AM

GALAPAGOS ISLANDS: The Legend Cruise, 7 Days with Air, JUST $2099 ,** ($100 OFF Per Person. Reg $2199) **SUPER SPECIAL**
Length: 7 Days
Locations Visited: Ecuador, and Galapagos

Highlights: The M/V GALAPAGOS LEGEND is a 110 passenger Luxury expedition ship built in Germany totally converted in December 2001 in Ecuador's shipyards Designed with good taste it gives an environment of "elegant adventure" and blends in smoothly with the Islands landscape with open social areas that allow you to enjoy nature from its observation decks It is an ecologically sound vessel bound to be a Legend in a magical realm. The GALAPAGOS ISLANDS were made famous by Darwin's travels in 1835, and declared World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The most amazing aspect of taking cruises to the islands is their wildlife. Endemic creatures such as giant turtles, marine iguanas, and many bird species such as blue footed boobies, flightless cormorants, penguins, finches and mockingbirds make this a dream come true for any naturalist. COME ONBOARD!!!

from USD $ 2099
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 05:55 PM

We're planning a similar trip in 2012, and considering a NG ship, too - so I'm really interested in what answers you're getting. In any case, please post about your decision process, what you end up doing, and of course, a trip report when you get back. Good luck!
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Dear Tejana,

Although I did not sail with NG, I'd be happy to share my experience aboard the Eclipse (48 pass) in March 2010. I am currently putting together a trip report & will post here. It was absolutely wonderful!

From scouting out the ships available, I realize there are many options to suit each traveler's priorities. (Islands visited, sailing dates, budget, ship size, a/c, activities offered, etc.) The Eclipse was the perfect boat for me for many reasons.

This boat may be slightly out of your <40 pass. range but the panga party size is limited to 12. Our 4 Naturalist guides were excellent. Food, accommodations & fellow guests were superior.

Hope someone who has sailed with NG (Galapagos) posts a reply. I'd love to hear about their experience, too.

Whichever vehicle is chosen, I know you will enjoy those truly 'Enchanted Isles'!

-Mary
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:25 AM

We weren't on the NG either. But if you're considering other boats, we highly recommend the Tip Top fleet. Last Sept., we were on the 16-passenger, first-class Tip Top II for an 8-day cruise. The crew were wonderful; the naturalist guide, superb; the food, plentiful, local, and delicious; the boat, immaculate and comfortable. You can read our trip report here: http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/. There are several pages there that have some things we've learned about what to consider when choosing a cruise and other decisions that might help you figure out your own path. Look under the "Practicalities" tab and click on the links from there.

Tina

Tina
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 12:05 PM

Dear Tejana,

I traveled aboard the 32-guest Evolution with International Expeditions - and I can't say enough about the cruise! I had traveled previously with this company on the Amazon, so knew that they had the BEST guides, good food, and I expected a real nature and learning focus. I was not to be disappointed. Our expedition Boli was full of knowledge, each day was packed with hikes, snorkeling, etc, but what really set this tour apart for me was being able to see the red-footed boobies and short-eared owls on Genovesa. I had look at the National Goegraphic trip, and their ship is too large to visit Genovesa.

Traveling with IE on the Evolution, it felt most days like the Galapagos were our own private retreat. We didn't even see another boat several days. I recommend checking out their website: http://www.ietravel.com/galapagos

Have a fantastic time!