Free day in Lima

Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free day in Lima

Hi.

I will be leaving for Peru in about 4 weeks, and will spend 2 weeks traveling the country. I have one day in Lima at the end of my tour and I'm trying to decide how I should spend it. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 01:35 PM

Check some of the trip reports.

Some people are pooped out and just want to sit at the mall at Larcomar surrounded by American chain stores.

For me I would recommend visiting the colonial center and the museum Rafael Larco, at a minimum.
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 04:29 AM

After wandering the promenade in Miraflores (nice parks along the way to sit, relax, and reflect on the two weeks preceding our day in Lima), we took the neighborhood roads to the ruins of Huaca Pucllana.

Here's the portion of my blog on Huaca Pucllana, we found the active dig site to be quite interesting:

http://2totravel.blogspot.com/2009/0...-pucllana.html
Old Sep 24th, 2009, 09:35 AM

I enjoyed a tour of the San Fransico Monastary. And Despite the chain stores sitting at the Locomar Mall and having a drink overlooking the Pacific is nice.
Old Sep 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM

I agree with Larcomar/Miraflores area. I was more comfortable walking around that area. I would recommend seeing the Plaza de Armas and San Francisco monastery, but we didn't hang out in that area for long.
Old Oct 5th, 2009, 03:34 PM

Taxis in Lima.
Taxi Plus, (+51 1) 478 4555, 24 hours, drives all over Lima.
Taxi Lima Peru , (+51 1) 308-6184, [http://limaperutaxi.com] A Car&Limo service to consider for service to and from the airport,hourly rates,excellent prices and great service. All their Drivers speak English fluently and they also offer city tours upon request for a fee. dependable.
Taxi Seguro, (+51 1) 330 2795, A bit expensive, but absolutely safe and punctual.
Taxi Real, (+51 1) 470 6263, [9] Safe and punctual, could be a bit expensive.
EATING IN LIMA
- Ceviche street. Av. La Rosa Toro (two blocks from Av. Javier Prado Este), San Borja. This is a block of seafood restaurants. Now, they are very popular and have replaced the former famous Av. José Galvez in Miraflores. These restaurants are usually full of people eating ceviches, jaleas, chicharrones, sudados and other fish-based dishes. Cheap prices and big dishes! A dish (fuente) can be shared by two or three people.

- Manos Morenas. Av. Pedro de Osma 409, Barranco. A restaurant with typical peruvian food, specially "criolla" food. They also shows from Wed. to Sat. Prices are moderate.

- Calle de las Pizzas. Av. Diagonal (opposite Parque Central), Miraflores. A popular alley with lots of "pizzerias" that offer all kind of pastas and wine (incl. sangrías). Very frequented on weekend nights. Regular prices.

- Chinatown Chifas. Near the Mercado Central is located the Chinatown (Jr.Ucayali and Jr. Paruro area), where you will find a good number of chifas (peruvian-chinese food), from cheap to expensive ones. They are a good option in downtown. The best of them is Chifa Wa Lok (Jr. Paruro 864) with really good food but expensive prices.