Search

Argentina Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argentina Itinerary

Greetings fellow world travelers!

My wife and I are planning a trip to Argentina April 4-24 next year. We are wanting to spend a week in BA, a couple of days at Iguazu Falls, 2-3 days in Salta, 2-3 days in San Carlos Bariloche and several days in Puerto Madryn.

Originally, we were thinking of spending the first week in BA and then begin the counter-clockwise trip to the falls, Salta, the Lake District, Madryn and then back to BA. But I am wondering if we are going so late in the fall, that we might be pushing it to go to the Lake District at the end of the trip, rather than earlier in the month. Do you think it would be smarter to go to Madryn and the Lake District closer to the beginning of our trip in terms of weather conditions?

Is there anything else that you think we are missing? We are skipping Mendoza because we live close to the wine country in Northern California.

Thanks,
Daniel
Old Dec 2nd, 2012, 02:28 PM

The weather is always a matter of luck, but, in theory, it should be better to do our South first.

Have a great time in our country.
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 03:40 AM

I would better suggest to take at least 5 days in the Salta area. OR you can regret. I feel MAdryn does not need much tat time of the year... You have much more to see and enjoy in the NW.
Do not miss Purmamarca and Humahuaca gorge, the salt flats and Cafyate our wine area,but not only for the wines, the scenery is amazing!!!
Flintstones
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:55 AM

Agree with flintstones - have you researched to see what marine life would still be at Puerto Madryn/Peninsula Valdes in April? The penguins would all be gone from Punta Tombo by late April and I think the whales would be also. They are the main attractions for this region.

Salta region is fabulous and you need more than 2-3 days.
Old Dec 3rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Angie (flinstones), colibri, avrooster for your thoughts. I just did a search of some of the marine life tour guides and found that the penguins are likely to be gone by April - bummer! After reading more about the Northwest I realize we are cutting that time too short. I think we'll need at least four days/five nights. In fact, we may contact Angie as a tourguide rather than rent a car. Even though it may be cold (and wet), I think the Lakes District would be nice to spend some time as well. So maybe we'll skip Puerto Madryn afterall.

Thanks,
Daniel
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 02:50 AM

Right, not a good time to visit our South, Daniel.

Angie is a wonderful guide. You'll have a great time in our NW.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 09:17 AM

My suggestion is to get two or three days for the Calchaquies valleys and at least two days to see Purmamarca, the salt flats and the Humahuaca Gorge. The weather in August is fantastic and all these places have good attractions that will keep you busy.And take at least a day for the town.... try it were not a Monday, as it is the day the museums are closed.
Maybe a Sunday would be great.
August 1st is Pachamama¨s Day, interesting offerings to the ancient godess of the primitive inhabitants ot the NW.
Angie/Flintstones
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Angie,

We are going to be there in April, not August. Does that change anything in your suggestions?

Daniel
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 08:21 AM

No, April is a great time also, the rains end and the weather is great. Old people say that the rains end in Eaaster in the NW and that garantees wonderful sunny days. Chilly in the morning and nigts but at noon you can wear t-shirts!
You will never regret... I promise.
Angie/Flintstones
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Flinstones- What are your recommendations for transportation from BA to Salta and these other areas?

Affordable would be best, but if there is a cheap/crappy time consuming, mid-price/more convenient and expensive/super convenient I'd go with mid... never one to want to spend more time traveling just to save $ but also don't want to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on flights once in the country as I have limited means
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 03:58 AM

well, a flight would be the best from BA to Salta or almost 20 hours in a bus, but our buses are comfy and they run all the night so an overnight bus would be ok if you do not mind.
I think buses would be full, so try to get the tickets with time. December is time for people to travel...
In the area a car rented or a private tour would be the best. More convenient and you save a lot of time. On the other hand, sometines, the hceapest the worst...
Angie/Flintstones
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Angie. And thank you everyone else for your suggestions. Here is our revised itinerary:

San Francisco to BA - Arriving on Friday morning April 5th.
Catch a flight to Bariloche and spend three days (four nights)
Catch a flight to Salta and spend four days in the NW area (five nights)
Catch a flight to Iguazu Falls area and spend two days one day on Agentina side, the other on the Brazil (three nights)
Return to BA - spend seven days (eight nights). We are thinking of staying in an apartment in either Recoleta or Palermo-Soho area

I think we'll skip Puerto Madryn since its most likely the penguins will be gone.

We are thinking of rather than renting a car in Bariloche - we'll stay in town and go on a few tours of the area. In Salta, we are thinking of going with a guide (like Angie) for at least two of the days. In BA, we'll just walk, walk and walk - and when we can't walk, we'll either take a cab or public transportation. I am assuming that we will either stay in the park in Iguazu falls or just outside the park and find local transportation. Personally, I find driving stressful, so I think we'll try to do this withiout renting a car.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 05:59 AM

Just about driving: you are so right about not driving in BsAs or between cities it's terrible.

However, just to let you know, driving in Bariloche is easy as is driving in the Northwest (after your tour with Angie). Bariloche itself (the town) is not that wonderful, IMO, beyond an hour or two - it is the lovely area that is worth the side-trip. Check the volcanic dust conditions of today before you make final decisions. Just IMO.
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 07:29 AM

I would only add that you should check the flights between Salta and Iguazu carefully. I'm not sure there are direct flights every day, but maybe only a few times per week.

I'm assuming you are American so are you aware that you'll need a Brazilian visa at $180 pp? I've gone to Iguazu twice, but only on the Argentine side since I thought it was too much to pay for a daytrip of a few hours.

There are travelers who take the risk of crossing over and hoping the border guards don't check, but I don't take chances.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 07:43 AM

Daniel,

Getting your visa for Brazil is a great value. Iguazu Falls should be experienced from both sides. We do not regret the time or the expense of getting the visa for Brazil.

I'm not sure if you are working with a Travel Agent or not so I want to make sure you are aware of the new rule going into effect in Argentina in January. In case you haven't paid your reciprocity fee yet you might want to go ahead and do that. I'd hate for them to block you from entering the country because it wasn't paid.

Here is the article in case you missed it; http://www.visitpanama.com/index.php...id=466&lang=en -

What's big about this is that it's for every point of entry - not just the airports now. Even land crossings or ferry crossings, as we did last year from Uruguay, you have to pay. So just heads up.

Have a good time. We went to all the places you mentioned here. Had a wonderful time in Argentina.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads-up, Florence. That link was not correct, but here is a link discussing this issue here.

http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...rocity-fee.cfm

The domestic airfares aren't cheap either. This is getting to be quite an expensive trip. But, I know it will be worth every penny (or peso). Looking forward to posting a trip report with photos.

Daniel
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 07:26 PM
ez1

Just checked this site because I'm considering a return trip to Argentina. We are also from the SF area. Spent 5 nights in BA several years ago. We walked everywhere. Took a tour one day of the Parana River delta. Just the two of us and a guide. Totally great. Flew to Salta. Stayed 2 nights and did tour the salt flats and lovely towns in that area. Drove to Cafayate and spent a few nights in the area. Very beautiful and laid back. Also flew to Iguazu (don't recall from where). Did not venture to the Brazil side but don't think we missed much by not doing so. Took the boat trip under the falls... very fun. We did not venture south but this trip I will definitely go to the Lake District. Enjoy your trip! PS We stayed at an apartment in Palermo. Liked it a lot. Think I might stay in Recoleta next time.
Old Jan 16th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Fellow travelers;

I just wanted to let everyone know how much we appreciated their helpful responses to this thread. However, we decided to put Argentina on the back burner and go to Turkey instead. Two very different places in the world; but both full of new adventure possibilities. Thanks again for your help.

Daniel