Notices

Family Trip to the Galapagos Islands

May 13th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Family Trip to the Galapagos Islands

We are a family of 4 - 2 kids age 11 and 9. We will be starting our around the world trip and heading to the Galapagos Islands around December 1st for 2 weeks. I have heard that we should plan this place as we go and when we get down there. Any travel info or recommendations with kids would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
May 16th, 2013, 02:01 AM

It is possible to arrange things in the Galapagos as you go although my personal opinion would be that while it might work for a backpacker, it's risky for a family. Let me elaborate…if you are travelling solo and have unlimited time then you can sit on the dock in Puerto Ayora and just wait for a boat to come past with space on board which they are trying to shift. Generally speaking, it's not the nicer boats which will do this as the profile of their customers doesn't really allow them to introduce a backpacker to the guest list without people raising eyebrows! I'd be a little concerned taking a gamble when it's 4 of you (therefore needing 2 cabins) and when it's such an incredible place when you experience it properly. If you were to end up spending 3 days sitting on the dock of the bay in Puerto Ayora waiting for a boat, it's a genuine shame as you're missing out on the actual National Park.

If you were to come to me as a family of 4 at that time of year, these aged children then for the best possible experience I'd suggest picking a boat for the first week and then going for a land-based adventure for the second week. The boat gets you to the further reaches of the archipelago, staying on land (particularly Isabela and Floreana Islands) gives you and the kids more freedom to explore & interact with both human and animal populations. So that's my guess at the perfect 2 week family trip to the Galapagos. It would be hard, I think, for you to approximate that by booking as you turn up.

I appreciate you may have nerves about being too structured on a big trip like this but, given that it's at the start of your trip and that it's such a key and incredible part of the experience I would suggest that you at least consider investing a bit more in getting it just right (exploring the Galapgos is never going to be cheap).

I'm sure there will be people who don't agree with me but hopefully this is a useful point of view for you!

Tom
May 16th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom! Your advice is much appreciated!! Looking forward to explore this fantastic place.

Cheers - Kari
May 17th, 2013, 05:13 AM

You're very welcome Kari! Please, keep us informed on Fodors on your amazing family trip!

Good luck!

Tom

Search this Thread