Search

Help with Flight Delays & Planning????

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Flight Delays & Planning????

Hi all!

We are planning a trip to Peru and are on a very tight schedule. We're trying to make the most out of our 10 days and want to spend as little time as possible in Lima (too much else to see!

We are planning to fly from Cusco to Lima and have been warned that we need to leave plenty of time in case flights are delayed or canceled. Our flight back to the US from Lima is scheduled for 10:45pm on Friday. We were thinking of booking a flight through Star Peru scheduled to leave Cusco at 17:15 on Thursday.

Does anyone with experience in traveling the country feel like that is too much or too little time for scheduling our flight back to Lima?

Your experienced advice is appreciated!!!
Thanks all!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Late flights back from Cusco to Lima are the most likely to be cancelled. Might want to come back on the first flight Thursday especially if you are not flying on LAN.

Don't worry there really is plenty to see in Lima.

On arrival to Lima I book the first flight out the following morning. Don't bother to spend a day in Lima then, and I wouldn't book in Miraflores either. If you can afford the nearby Ramada at the airport it's the best option. Otherwise there are some inexpensive hotels not too far from the airport, just for sleeping, not for sightseeing.
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 07:49 PM

The problem with Cusco's airport is that the wind picks up in the afternoon and it's sometimes too much for planes to handle. I didn't even know there were flights out as late at 5:15 p.m. I thought everything had come in and gone out by mid-afternoon.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 04:32 AM

First Cusco is at 11000 ft flying direct there from LIM

odds are great u will get sick from the altitude

mdtravelhealth.com Peru consider Diamox if you do this

To see everything and adjust to altitude better prefer

the Gringo Trail via Ballestas(Galapagos of Peru) nasca

colca 4m-express.com to titicacaperu.com then inkaexpress.com

to Cusco for MP fly back Peruvianairlines.pe usually cheapest

If you fly up go to SV right away to adjust 8500 ft

casa-andina.com SV or apulodge.com my favs there.

insuremytrip.com always wise...

For Lima limacabs.com do a cheap quick city tour with them

hotelsanantonioabad.com or Hotel Antigua Miraflores

both have FREE LIM pickups if u book direct.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 04:32 AM

First Cusco is at 11000 ft flying direct there from LIM

odds are great u will get sick from the altitude

mdtravelhealth.com Peru consider Diamox if you do this

To see everything and adjust to altitude better prefer

the Gringo Trail via Ballestas(Galapagos of Peru) nasca

colca 4m-express.com to titicacaperu.com then inkaexpress.com

to Cusco for MP fly back Peruvianairlines.pe usually cheapest

If you fly up go to SV right away to adjust 8500 ft

casa-andina.com SV or apulodge.com my favs there.

insuremytrip.com always wise...

For Lima limacabs.com do a cheap quick city tour with them

hotelsanantonioabad.com or Hotel Antigua Miraflores

both have FREE LIM pickups if u book direct.

Happy Travels!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 04:33 AM

adventures.worldnomads.com/destination/168/itinerary/23.aspx
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback mlgb, qwovadis and Jeff_Costa_Rica!

I didn't realize the wind was an issue, Jeff_Costa_Rica but that definitely makes sense! I looked again to make sure I was looking at the correct flight times and realized I was confusing my flights. The carrier is Peruvian Airlines (not Star Peru) and their last flight of the day leaves Cusco at 4:05pm and arrives in Lima at 5:15pm.

My dilemma now with all of your tips is whether it would be better to just take an early flight out Friday morning (Peruvian Air offers flights leaving at 600, 740, 900, 1110, and 1140) to catch my Lima flight to the US at 10:45pm. Its either that or take an earlier flight Thursday and spend more time that I would like in Lima. I was thinking if there are so many morning flights, if I book the 740 flight, I could still fall back on the 3 other flights that leave later in the day if there was any problem with the 740 flight.

Any thoughts/advice on that? Do you still feel Thursday morning is the best time to book the plane?

Thank you all so much for your help. You really have no idea how much help you are and how much easier (and less stressful) your advice makes planning this trip!
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 03:33 PM

I would rather try for the Thursday morning, 2nd choice Thursday afternoon and Friday morning would be my very last choice. In fact I wouldn't consider the Friday morning flight.

There is also a fog issue in Lima part of the year.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM

Jebohncky, you've hit on, for me, the one problem about traveling to Peru: international-to-domestic and domestic-to-international connections can be inconveniently timed. Everything else about a trip to Peru will be amazing. I think this is the one inconvenience.

A 4:05 p.m. departure from Cusco sounds more like it. They want all planes to have departed by then. Anything later really risks cancellation, and there are no night flights in or out.

Cusco is the only airport I know where they post signs warning you of the possibility of weather delays. We all know that weather can cause delays at any airport, of course. In Cusco, they actually post signs about it.

Once the airport moves out to the Sacred Valley near Urubamba in about three years, things will improve greatly. There's more flat land, they'll have a longer runway, they won't have the odd approach through the mountains, and there won't be the problem with the wind in the afternoon or at night. It'll also be a nice airport. (The present airport is kind of dumpy.) They're even hoping for non-stop flights from the U.S. to Cusco, bypassing the need to connect in Lima at all.
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 07:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We left Cusco in the late morning. All flights before ours had been cancelled due to fog in Lima. We were the first flight to leave at around 10:30 or 11. I had no desire to spend any time in Lima either, but felt it wasn't worth the risk of missing our flight home so we did book the day before to be safe. Have a great trip!
Old May 19th, 2013, 02:12 PM

So JTR did you notice this thread is from 2011 or are you just promoting that website?

Anyways the real place to watch for airport delays is www.flightstats.com

I'm not even going to click that link since JTR seems to have joined today and his only two posts have to do with his website.

Just a wild guess but he is being paid for every click thru.